Old 03-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
Site Team

Difference between Surge Protection and Power Protection

So, based on latest rounds of recommendations, I've been looking into getting a surge protector. And based on these same recommendations I'm look at the ones from PI

So, looking on Camping World for Progressive Industries I can see this:

This of course confuses me. 3x the price difference? What's so special about one over the other. So off I go to PI's website.

Over there, I find that one is referred to as a "Surge Protector" and the other is a "Power Protector". The 'Power Protector" has a built in monitor and some line filtering, but I still can't make out heads or tails about the 3x price difference. I'm not too worried about clean energy, it's not like I have high end components. I just want to protect myself against some of the cases of "Pole was wired wrong, now everything's fried" or "Other camper did 'X', now everything's fried" I've been reading about on here. Will the lower cost one do that or not?

Old 03-25-2014, 03:01 PM   #2

I believe the "PI Smart Surge" is only a surge and reverse polarity INDICATOR, it will not protect from a power surge just let you know one happened or that the polarity is reversed in the pole your using.

2013 Rockwood 2904SS Emerald Edition
2006 Toyota Tundra 4x4 TRD

Nights camped 2014 = 5
majordel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:38 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
I just want to protect myself against some of the cases of "Pole was wired wrong, now everything's fried" or "Other camper did 'X', now everything's fried" I've been reading about on here. Will the lower cost one do that or not?
I found in my research a few years ago that the SSP30 gives protection against surges only. There is no other protection, but it will provide "indicators" for mis-wired and reverse polarity that you will find usefull. If that is what you want, than the savings is worth it IMO.

PT30C offers all of that plus protection against higher surge levels (Joules and Amps) and other protection via shutdown for things like over/under voltage, open neutral, reverse polarity and hi/low voltage.

I Like that the PT30C will shutdown in case of under voltage and then reset automatically. It seems low voltage is more common than it used to be and I don't think the parks and older privately owned campgrounds have all kept up with the larger trailers. A really hot day when everyone is running air can cause low voltage, which in turn will cause your AC and other appliances to draw high amperage that causes damage.

2012 Shamrock 233S
2008 Toyota Sequoia 5.7L 4WD
Triguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 03:53 PM   #4
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triguy View Post

I found in my research a few years ago that the SSP30 gives protection against surges only. There is no other protection, but it will provide "indicators" for mis-wired and reverse polarity that you will find usefull. If that is what you want, than the savings is worth it IMO.

PT30C offers all of that plus protection against higher surge levels (Joules and Amps) and other protection via shutdown for things like over/under voltage, open neutral, reverse polarity and hi/low voltage.

I Like that the PT30C will shutdown in case of under voltage and then reset automatically. It seems low voltage is more common than it used to be and I don't think the parks and older privately owned campgrounds have all kept up with the larger trailers. A really hot day when everyone is running air can cause low voltage, which in turn will cause your AC and other appliances to draw high amperage that causes damage.
X2...you want surge protection AND line voltage regulator/shutoff
Old 03-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #5

Try here: $239. with free shipping. Use promo code 5OFF100 for an extra $5 off.
Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical
Old 03-25-2014, 04:18 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob213 View Post
Try here: $239. with free shipping. Use promo code 5OFF100 for an extra $5 off.
Progressive Industries 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System - Surge Guards - Power Protection - Electrical
Thanks, but I don't think I'd be able to go with them. Crazy as it seems it looks like they will ship to Europe, but not Canada? At least they don't seem to have an option for that.

At least with CW I can see if I can do an instore pickup and drive over to get it. I'll also need to call my local dealer, rarely, but occasionally, I can get stuff cheaper than CW through him.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
So, based on latest rounds of recommendations, I've been looking into getting a surge protector. And based on these same recommendations I'm look at the ones from PI

So, looking on Camping World for Progressive Industries I can see this:

This of course confuses me. 3x the price difference? What's so special about one over the other. So off I go to PI's website.

Over there, I find that one is referred to as a "Surge Protector" and the other is a "Power Protector". The 'Power Protector" has a built in monitor and some line filtering, but I still can't make out heads or tails about the 3x price difference. I'm not too worried about clean energy, it's not like I have high end components. I just want to protect myself against some of the cases of "Pole was wired wrong, now everything's fried" or "Other camper did 'X', now everything's fried" I've been reading about on here. Will the lower cost one do that or not?
You want the more expensive one. It monitors for low voltage, high voltage, missing ground, reverse polarity, etc. The difference is feeling protected versus being protected.
Old 03-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #8

From one of my previous posts

When you look at the expense of getting your RV repaired from bad electricity, unless you are a electrician and can DIY, the unit I mentioned previously in this thread is the way to go.

Other things can happen at a camp *after* you do the initial power check....15 more units may plug in and cause a big voltage drop (low voltage can kill your A/C!) The electric company's system monitor could see the voltage drop and over-compensate and cause a over voltage situation (again fried everything)

These are just two situations that beg for constant monitoring. The higher end monitors not only detect under/over voltage but, if they exceed safe operation range, the unit cuts power to your RV until electricity returns to normal operation - then waits 45 or so SEC to ensure it is not being sporodic and then restores power to your unit gently so as not to overload/underload start up compressors on your roof A/C

So, if you have a 30 AMP connection here is what you need (from Amazon):
Amazon.com: Progressive Industries PT30C 30 Amp Portable Electrical Management System: Automotive
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 04:23 PM   #9

You need the power management system. It will not let electricty thru if all is not good and will stop the electricty, not just for surges but for all issues. Yes a 30 AMP will cost almost $250 and the one that I have for 50 AMP was $340. I wouldn't hookup without it. Good Luck
Old 03-25-2014, 04:26 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
-- Camping World Link --.
I have found I get consistently better prices from Amazon – especially if you have a Amazon Prime membership (Currently $79/yr) Not only do you get free 2 day shipping you also get access to their rather lager library of streaming movies and TV shows

Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power