Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #1
Explorer

Dim LED's phenomena

So, how to explain? I will call it, the dim LED lights with a blown fuse phenomena.
First I will start with, everything is working as it should, I have no problem.
The can of worms I opened started by not understanding how my ProgresiveDynamics PD4635 DC fuse panel w/red LED blown-fuse-indicators(lit when fuse is blown) works.
While camping a few light fixtures w/LEDs went dim. The bathroom fan on the same circuit wasn’t working. I look at the fuse panel and no red LED blow-fuse-indicator was lit(So I figure, no blown fuse)(WRONG). My problem solving guessed that the fan had a short that wasn’t blowing the fuse(WRONG). I disconnected the fan and switch but nothing changes. I’m was going home the next day so I just let it go tell I got home.
At home I find the blown fuse and so much more. I am a believer that if a fuse blows there is or could be a problem so I start looking futher.
I find that with no AC power and all the fuses pulled out of the panel(EVERY FUSE OUT) My LEDs light fixtures in every part of the trailer are lighting dimly. With all the fuses out how is power going to all these lights? There is only a one Volt difference between the hot side of the fuse connector and the circuit side of the connector(NO FUSE INSTALLED). I start believing it must be a short in the fuse panel board but I cant find a schematic online. I can’t find any hot spots on the board or see any problems. Before I call PogressiveDynamics I want to have as much info as I can so I spend another hour checking as much as I feel is prevalent and taking notes.
I called ProgressiveDynamics and they set me straight. This fuse board is working properly, the issue comes with installing LEDs light fixtures. The light fixtures with LEDs are dim because of how the LED blown-fuse-indicator works. The LED blown-fuse-indicator is on the non-power side of the fused curcuit, when a fuse blows it requires a small amount of power to light it up. If a LED light fixture is turned on, in that circuit, the small amount of power is allowed to flow that way making those LEDs light-fixtures dimly lit but the LED blown-fuse-indicator does not light. But if the light fixtures are all off in the circuit then the LED blown-fuse-indicator does light. Circuits without LED light fixtures all work normal and the LED blown-fuse-indicator always works when a fuse is blown.
The more I learn the more I find out I don’t know much.
Good part, I was right the problem was in the fuse board.
Bad part, it wasn’t a problem and I was chasing a lack of knowledge.
Now I have to go put my camper back together. Campers are sooooo much fun.
John
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

I have a 2013 Silverback,the bedroom lights go dim but the fuse indicator is off,when I pull the fuse and reinsert it the lights come back on,one time the red indicator came on but when I pulled and reinserted the fuse the lights came back o ??????
jackssilverback29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Explorer

Electrical can be a puzzle and like a puzzle it is logical. Starting from one side of the circuit and working to the other can usually find/isolate any issues.
Diagnosing from a far is extremely tough…. Knowing what is in the circuit helps too
My problem came from the LED lights in the circuit and had their switch been turned off(taking the LEDs out of circuit) my Blown Fuse Indicator Light would illuminate.
I would first replace the fuse, even if it doesn’t look bad(cheap and easy)
Using a multi meter is almost a must. Checking voltage and moving through the circuit is how I would do it. Pull the fuse and look for 12vdc(+or-, whatever battery is) and (slightly less)vdc, fuse in and should get 12 and 12, for me light fixture would be the next place and with fuse in and switch on should get 12 at connecter. Keep working through the circuit and isolating until problem is found.
LED lights will illuminate with very low voltage.

It really sounds like a loose or corroded connection, this could definitely give you an intermittent problem. If it’s a connection issue you might be able to inspect and/or wiggle connections to find the issue without a multi meter. Might even switch out the lights with others that are known to work.
Ya, sorry I don’t know. But let us know how it works out; I love to see how puzzles works out.
John
Im off to the lake tomorrow but others will try and help, good luck
43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led