My tongue jack stopped working unless plugged into shore power, then noticed that slide or any other DC accessories would not work without shore power. Also used to hear a fan running where the convertor is located, but do not hear it now. All fuses are good. Do I need to replace convertor or is there something else I can look for. I have a 2005 Salem 30fks travel trailer. Any advide would be appreciated.
With the camper unplugged from shore power, measure the voltage at the battery terminals. Should be over 12 volts. Now plug the camper to shore power and measure again. Should be higher, maybe over 13.5 volts. If not, might be the converter. Make sure you test the two large fuses in the fuse panel. Also, somewhere under the tongue/front of the camper, is a breaker. Trace the POSITIVE cable from the battery to the breaker, and make sure it is not tripped. Good luck.
agree. if works ok plugged in, it isn't the converter. a bad battery is what it sounds like. i seem to get abt 3 yrs out of a battery. i'm on an optma battery now for 2 yrs. hope it is worth the price. sense i don't dry camp, i don't need the extra capacity.
i didn't realize u replaced the bat 3 wks ago. bad batteries have been bought before. a volt meter check would be helpful.
i would have to look at a wiring diagram but by any chance do u have a disconnect somewhere? i have an old trailer but there is a big red key just as i enter the trailer. there are still some things that remain connected but basicly it disconnects the dc panel from the battery. i don't think the jack is affected by that disconnect but it is worth a try. other than that, i would check the connections to the battery for corrosion and/or tightness.
most everyone seems to be pointing to a battery, breaker, fuse, etc. i still believe that is where u will find the problem. the other suggestions that i have are just extra checks.
My tongue jack stopped working unless plugged into shore power, then noticed that slide or any other DC accessories would not work without shore power. Also used to hear a fan running where the converter is located, but do not hear it now. All fuses are good. Do I need to replace converter or is there something else I can look for. I have a 2005 Salem 30fks travel trailer. Any advice would be appreciated.
All fuses may NOT be good as Windrider said. There is a critical one under the frame (located about 18 inches or so from the battery) that may or may not have a reset button on the side. (see picture) (On a 5th wheel it is under the pin box. Yours may have a red rubber cover over it.)
The terminals may also be corroded so remove them and hit with some fine sand paper.
That breaker disconnects the on board battery from the rest of the campers circuits.
Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW