Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2018, 07:53 AM   #41

I'm convinced. I have never had an issue with a pedestal at a park. That being said, I have mostly dry camped in the past so didn't use many pedestals for power. With new rig, and more Private RV Park stays I figure I'm on borrowed time, so I bought the Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS portable unit. Given the cost will probably figure a way to make it more difficult for somebody to run off with it, and I will certainly remove it and put it away when unhooking. Just seems like a better, safer idea than major wiring, and accessory replacement.

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:12 PM   #42

Not that it really matters, but I just noticed all of the “Made in USA” references with my PI EMS-PT30X have been covered up and stickers have been added that say “Assembled in Mexico.”
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDrax View Post
Not that it really matters, but I just noticed all of the “Made in USA” references with my PI EMS-PT30X have been covered up and stickers have been added that say “Assembled in Mexico.”
There's a difference??

LOL

Interesting, seriously. Assembled? Made? I'd bet any electronic device has component's made somewhere in the East. Just a guess.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:31 PM   #44

I was talking to an RV repairman and he showed me a 5th wheel that was hit by a surge. It took out everything electrical including the wiring harness. It was estimated that it was going to run about $20,000 for the repair. So no, a surge protector is not considered a waste of money.
Mygodrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 08:53 PM   #45

YES, an EMS is worth it!

We've been camping for over 30 years and have had an Energy Management System installed in every RV we've owned. Yes, power anomalies (like reverse polarity, missing ground, over/under voltage, etc.) are infrequent, but when they happen, they can be deadly. I'll make my point with a story you won't forget.

We were camping in a very old campground next to a guy who had a beautiful old GMC bus that he had converted into his rolling home. As I sat in my RV working on my computer, I looked up and saw that he had returned from his grocery shopping trip. He reached for the metal door handle of his bus and the shock he got threw him off his feet and he landed about 15 feet back from the bus on his rear. I ran outside to see if he was OK. Fortunately his was breathing, but in quite a daze. It turns out that the ground wire on his electrical service post was broken. He had an electrical short somewhere in his bus and the 120V power that was going into his RV had no where to go but through the bus door handle, through his body and to the ground he was standing on. He was very fortunate not to be electrocuted. He remarked to me afterwards that he had been having a problem with the wiring to his microwave. I suspect this is where the short was.

IF he had an EMS, it would have immediately sensed a missing ground and turned off all power to his bus.

Now not all power problems have such potentially deadly consequences, but they can be VERY expensive. Our neighbor, Bubba, was camping in Texas and a nearby lightening strike caused an instantaneous over voltage situation that lasted less than a second. He lost his TV, refrigerator, water heater and microwave. An EMS would have stopped the power from entering his motorhome before any damage was done. Bubba had to cancel the rest of his trip and go home for major RV repairs.

In all our years of RVing, I can recall dozens of times I could hear the EMS "pop" and we lost all power to the coach. Every one of these power anomalies could have done serious damage, but my EMS protected our RV.

I even have an EMS installed on my Flagstaff A-Frame pop-up trailer. Every time I plug in my pop-up to power, it takes about 15 seconds for the EMS to verify that the power is clean and within normal service limits before I hear distinct "pop" and power flows through to my RV. What a comforting sound!

A word to the wise is sufficient. Maybe you'll remember my story next time your EMS goes "pop" and saves you from a ruined vacation or worse!

If you have a 50 amp service to your RV, install a 50 amp EMS. Likewise, if you have a 30 amp service line to your RV install a 30 amp EMS. You'll be happy you did.

Bob
RobertK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:11 PM   #46

I did not have an EMS on my first brand new 50 amp RV. I spent the night at a COE campground in Georgia. Plugged into the pedestal that was apparently not wired correctly. After replacing 3 TVs, a convection microwave, and the converter, I purchased an EMS and have been using it ever since.
michael.wehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:52 PM   #47

We experienced a nearby lightning strike when our rig was parked at home. It fried the EMS, which Progressive replaced, but it saved the rig from disaster. There was one remote control to the leveling system that never worked again - we just installed a hard-wired control.

Now we carry a basic Progressive EMS along as a backup in case the primary is ever compromised by lightning etc.
Letsgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:21 PM   #48

Can't seem to find an explanation. I have 50 amp service with a 50 amp EMS. When there is only 30 amp service available at the pedestal will the 50 amp EMS work properly with a step down adapter on the pedestal. (30 up to 50 amp plug). I know I need to be more conscious of electrical usage, but will the EMS still work properly?

2016 Boston Whaler Montauk 150
Former Montana owner
Colorado Cruiser, Over the Pass and Down the Hill
Comanchecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:42 PM   #49

Yes, it will still work. The dogbone adapter puts voltage on both power legs of your 50 amp service, with either leg or the total of both capped out at 30 amps. The EMS will monitor and display each leg as it normally does. It will still trip with a surge or low voltage.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 07:45 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comanchecreek View Post
Can't seem to find an explanation. I have 50 amp service with a 50 amp EMS. When there is only 30 amp service available at the pedestal will the 50 amp EMS work properly with a step down adapter on the pedestal. (30 up to 50 amp plug). I know I need to be more conscious of electrical usage, but will the EMS still work properly?

No issues with mine plugged into a 50->30 and 30->15 then plugged into the outlet in the garage. Just shows the same voltage on both lines, and you have to mentally add the two amperages to know how much total you’re drawing. Then again, I didn’t have a surge or low voltage so I can’t validate how that part works when sharing a leg.
Old 07-04-2018, 08:20 PM   #51
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

You tell me.
Today voltage was at 104 volts, magic smoke starts to happen after that.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 08:33 PM   #52
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

And here is that
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
50 amp