Old 05-28-2016, 09:19 AM   #1
Does converter overcharge battery?

I have been leaving my 2016 Creekwood TT plugged into 20 amp circuit to keep the fridge cold. This means the converter is charging the battery too. Does it provide a constant trickle charge that could damage the battery or is it a smart charger that shuts off completly when not needed? I don't know the brand/model but most likely TCI or Dometic.
On a related note is it a good idea to keep the fridge running while the TT is just sitting at home?

Cedar Creek Lake, Texas
2016 Wildwood Xlite 171 RBXL
2016 Ram 5.7L crewcab.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:56 AM   #2
I have always kept my refrigerator on, a good place to store beer. You have to keep a eye out on the battery because the converter/charger will boil the water out of the battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2015 Cedar Creek 32RL
2012 Silverado 3500HD SRW
spock123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
If you unplug for any length of time disconnect your battery or it will drain in a couple of weeks. I used to own an RV lot and we were plugged in from 04/01 to 10/31 each year. I checked the water level every few months and only had to add a little water a couple of times of three years.

2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:12 PM   #4
Need to know the brand of converter to give an honest answer. Not all converters are created equal. I don't see a problem with keeping the fridge going as long as you are connected to shore power. Jerry

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD, Duramax 2WD CC/SB
2013 Cardinal 3030RS full body paint
B&W Companion slider, air bags, EFI Live Custom tuning by So Cal Diesel
Jerry01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:42 PM   #5
Even the original equipment converter / charger is fairly new, it should not overcharge your battery (batteries) if it is operating properly. Yes, the batteries will lose some electrolyte, but this is to be expected as Ibrjet experienced. Check them routinely and add distilled water as needed. I also recommend a good charger such as IOTA or Progressive with the IQ4 add-on. The main thing is to never let a battery go dead.

If I keep a fridge running, I keep the interior fan going as well as keep it filled... adult beverages work well for this

XLR Hyperlite 29HFS
Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
Triumph Thunderbird

A Modder's work is never done!
WolfWhistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 12:44 PM   #6
The converter will supply the 12V for the frig without the batteries being connected. Not all converters will go into a float mode so some may overcharge the batteries. I keep my batteries disconnected via battery disconnect switch when I'm on Shore power. The converter like I said supplies all the 12V I need.
Retired Navy
Jake my sidekick (yellow Lab)
2006 F350 6.0
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:53 PM   #7
Moderators' Assistant
My 10 year old WFCO has never overcharged my batteries(knock on wood).
and I keep it plugged in all the time.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 04:58 PM   #8
I keep plugged up to shore at home....... but am new, first week with this thing.

I think I'm going to leave batteries 'on' for a week or two and 'off' for a week or two while connected to shore. It is a trickle charger (i'm pretty sure!)..... that's how I do my onboard boat battery charger..........
"Next to prayer, fishing is the most personal relationship of man"Calvin Coolidge
"American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of God"Lewis Grizzard

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 01:08 PM   #9
I'm plugged into a 30amp plug at home and always remove the negative terminal. Good chance it will cook your battery.
2015 Salem 27RKSS
2015 Ram 2500 CC 4x4 Cummins
55' Chevy Bel-Air
Burgers on the BBQ and a cold beer
mike.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 05:24 PM   #10
The best way to know whether the battery is being overcharged is to get out a voltmeter.

After fully charging the battery, the converter should drop down into a trickle charge mode (approx 13.1V for most converters), which simply maintains the battery. According to the WFCO manual, WFCO converters (common standard equipment in RVs) are supposed to drop from 13.6V (normal charging) to 13.1V after 44 hours of near constant current.

The WFCO in my A-frame will not go into trickle mode after several weeks, and with only the propane/CO detector and the stereo on. It remains at 13.7 volts, which is too high for long term storage. So I will be installing a new converter. In the meantime, I disconnect the battery after fully charging for several days after a trip.

I'm disappointed because 1) I finally figured this out 2 months after the 2nd year of warranty expired, 2) it may have caused the failure of my initial set of 12V batteries (I had 2 Size 24, one went bad and took the other one with it after bad decisions on my part), 3) the A-Frame has a combination converter/electrical panel which means more rewiring than just replacing a converter. On the bright side, I will get a better converter that will charge my batteries faster, and I can clean up the wiring rat's nest (and lack of proper color codes) that came standard behind the converter.

just my experiences, yours may differ
Fred W
2014 Rockwood A122 A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time

pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote

battery, converter