Old 09-21-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Does my battery charge when.........

I recntly purchased a 2005 Rockwood Roo 233 and I am wondering if my battery charges when I am plugged in to shore power and does it charge when I'm towing it

musicman5519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Both - The electrical center in your Roo has a converter in it that sends a charge to the TT (Travel Trailer) battery. The TT battery also gets some charge when connected to the TV (Tow Vehicle) but the TV alternator measures and charges the TV battery based on it's level of charge so the charge to the TT battery is minimal (so don't rely on the TV to keep up with dry camping activities or boon docking) you will need a portable generator for that (be sure and get a quiet one to be thoughtful of potential neighbors) a lot of people suplement with solar but I would still keep the generator available.

And welcome to the forum from mid California. Most of all Enjoy

Dale & Terri, Lulu & Tiki (our Chihuahua's), New rescue puppy Prince - Pom/Pug mix.
2013 Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7, TRD Off-Road, 4X4, Full Tow Package
2013 Wildwood T26TBSS - Sold
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
When plugged into shore power, the converter should be charging the battery as long as it's working properly. When towing, the 7-way plug has an output for 12v to the battery as long as it is been wired that way.
latner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
First of all to the forum

To answer your question, Yes to both, if all is working correctly. When plugged into shore power your RV has a converter that uses the 120vac and converts it to 12vdc and charges your battery and powers your 12 volt items in the RV, lights, parts of the frig, furnace fan, things like that.
When plugged into your TV your 7way plug should have one of the pins with 12volts on it from the battery. Not all vehicles have this active, usually the factory does not hook up the wire ate the fuse block under the hood or put the fuse and relay in. This is something the owner of the vehicle is responsible to hook up if desired. I attached a picture of the 7 way plug to check for voltage if you have a test light or volt meter. Even once you have voltage to the RV from the TV it does not provide much charge to the RV. It will help, but do not plan to rely on this as a charging method.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7-way1.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	40074  
99 F250 Super Cab Short Bed 7.3 Powerstroke
84 24' Yellowstone Camino (oldie)
Acableguy06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
Moderators' Assistant
many newbies find out that their tow vehicle is not setup to charge. you have to check the vehicle's Bargman plug, like PDI Guy said.

and they expect the battery to be recharged by their vehicle after a couple of hours. not so, you'll have a trickle charge from the vehicle unless you have two alternators.

for most tow vehicles, it would take driving all day to recharge a half dead trailer battery.

as was said, if the trailer's 3-stage converter is working properly, it will keep the battery recharged when plugged into shore power.

by the way, Welcome to the "Roo Kroo" and be sure to check out the Roo sub-forum, in the Expandable/Hybrid section here at FRF.
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
'07 Roo 23SS pushing an '07 Chevy Avalanche
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #6
When I'm towing and the TT is being charged by the TV, do I have to leave the circuit breakers for the 12V in the "on" position or does the charge happen regardless?

Also, won't the CO monitor be on? Does it matter?

oldnfat is offline   Reply With Quote