Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #1

Don't understand - interior lights out

So, my first on this forum is due to my recent new "relationship" with 2001 GeorgieBoy Pursuit. Not sure I am cut out for it. The first thing I learned is the manufacturer is long gone, changed hands multiple times, and Forest River explains they got no tech literature to share in the end. "Go to a service center". I understand.

First I was drafted to replace tv antenna that was 'eaten' in upright position while leaving parking cover. Was fairly straight forward.

I just survived the nightmare of replacing driver front BigFoot solenoids. Impossible to access, and more. This included replacing starter battery and both house batteries, along with battery tenders for each. May be fixed!

Now asked to confront current issue: the interior overhead DC lights do not work when (a) disconnected from shore power (b) generator not running. I am promised this used to work, I assume from house batteries. I have learned what a Battery Disconnect Switch is by the door, and have found the relay under hood. The relay does have good 12v on both sides when control switch is in USE position. But no DC to interior lights. I don't know the flow of DC leaving the battery disconnect relay.

I need advice on next test/repair step - additional relay(s), breaker(s), why lights get no DC. ???

I do know it has a Converter/Charger but no indication of an Inverter, or where to look for one.

Lights do work when shore power connected, or when generator running and plugged in to feed coach. Going back to RV in week or so and hope to be armed with fresh ideas so I can get RV boondock capable.
GBoy2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM   #2

There are a few links. One is the 12v side of life. http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

This one was also helpful.
Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance) http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...lectricity.asp

Test the voltage coming from the house batteries. If good then make sure the shutoff switch is allowing power to pass through. Sometimes they go bad.

Check fuses...make sure you did not blow the reverse polarity 12v fuses on the converter. The converter is the box with breakers and fuses on it. Unless your lights are 120v (they never are) then the inverter is not necessary for lighting. Usually they are only for residential fridge.

You need to use the disconnect when storing or you will end up replacing batteries every few months and then connect it when you want things to work and are plugged in or you will not recharge your battery.

Your light problem is that the house battery is dead or shut off. You get power from the converter when on generator or shore power or you blew a fuse somewhere.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #3

Lights in most RV's are 12 volt. When you are plugged in to shore power or using a generator, your converter "converts" the 110 AC to 12 volts DC to make things like lights work. Anything that you would absolutely need while dry camping/boondocking works on 12 volt thus through the converter when plugged in. Appliances like microwaves, TV's, and house style electric fridges work only on 110 AC which is why large RV's have an inverter to "invert" the 12 volt DC coming from the house batteries to 110 AC in order to make those appliances work. The issue here is that these appliances on inverter can discharge batteries very quickly.

Given that a lot of stuff works off your batteries I would try other things while not plugged in like your leveling jacks (though I don't know if those work from your engine/starter battery) and try your slideouts if you have them. These definitely should run on house batteries. If none of those work you aren't getting any 12 volt DC from your batteries.

That being said, your converter is obviously working so the 110 AC side seems to be good. The problem appears to be in your 12 volt side. Check your house batteries and verify that they have a charge. If they have a full charge, see if you can locate a battery disconnect switch and turn it on. I did discover that on my own trailer the type of disconnect switch I have fell out of adjustment and wasn't making contact when switched on. If you verify that the switch isn't the problem, locate the fuse panel. Your 12 volt side of the house should use blade type fuses like you would find in a car. Check your fuses. If fuses aren't the problem, that's all I got. Have to start tracing wiring and such after that.
joeuncool is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light