Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2015, 01:43 PM   #21

One of our club got a sheet of two inch foam roof insulation at home depot. Cut it in to four pieces and forms a three sided dog house w roof for his. I barely hear it. Pins together with nails, pulls them apart and it lays flat to travel.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 PM   #22
lem

boondocking in CA.

I would be upset if I wanted to enjoy a PEACEFUL day while boondocking and some rude person used their LOUD generator. Seeing as though you cannot afford a inverter generator ($1,000-$3000) may I suggest the following: 1)Change all lights to LED bulbs(Approx. cost $100) 2)Change battery configuration to two six volt batteries run in parallel(each battery approx. $150.) With changing the bulbs and having two six volt batteries you can boondock for 4+ days without using much battery.Yes you give up your A/C and microwave but you will enjoy the experience greatly.
lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 03:15 PM   #23

Been Dry Camping quite a bit and agree with BikenDan...If it's too loud people will complain to the Ranger. Chances are if you don't like the noise it makes...those around you won't appreciate it either. Remember, everyone there has paid for a certain amount of Rest and Relaxation and the right to have a somewhat peaceful visit. Either get a decent generator or maybe consider changing your plans and going somewhere where they have Hook-Ups...
Old 07-23-2015, 04:25 PM   #24

We installed 2 180 watt solar panels run through a regulator which keeps the battery's up nicely. We also put in a 2000 watt inverter ( harbor freight, 135 dollars) to which we run the shore line to and the to the 5th wheels 30 amp twist lock. No generated needed unless we want to use the microwave or the AC other than that we dry camp for weeks without issues.
Pursell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:32 PM   #25

Boondocking

We do most of camping without hookups. You could try the insulated box and it will reduce the noise level. We insulated our onboard onan 4000 with 2" of foam, two layers of sound deadener and rubber isolators and has cut the sound to tolerable levels inside and outside when you have to run the generator.
We also have a solar charger and it keeps the batteries charged without the need for the generator. The only time we run it is when we use the microwave or watch tv or when it is cloudy.
If you need to charge the batteries another option is to have a inverter on the TV and use a battery charger or ask to plug into your neighbors TT when they are running their generator.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by lem View Post
I would be upset if I wanted to enjoy a PEACEFUL day while boondocking and some rude person used their LOUD generator. Seeing as though you cannot afford a inverter generator ($1,000-$3000) may I suggest the following: 1)Change all lights to LED bulbs(Approx. cost $100) 2)Change battery configuration to two six volt batteries run in parallel(each battery approx. $150.) With changing the bulbs and having two six volt batteries you can boondock for 4+ days without using much battery.Yes you give up your A/C and microwave but you will enjoy the experience greatly.
The LEDs make a huge difference, but if your willing to buy from eBay from a Chinese seller, you can replace all the lights in your TT for less than $50.

You said to run 6V batteries in parallel, I think you meant to say in series. But I agree, 2 6V good cart batteries will give you a lot of Boondocking time.
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:27 PM   #27
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Only thing about 2 6 Volt batts.......If one dies there'll not be 12 Volts.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 08:11 PM   #28

I agree that if one 6 dies all is lost, but have not heard of that happening too often. A pair of Trojan T105 6'ers is equal to three Group 24 batts but Golf Cart batteries will disgarge deeper and more often without failure. Standard 6 v Golf cart batteries fit the same footprint as Grp 24's but are taller (sadly height will not fit in the nose of our trailer) and a bit heavier.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:51 AM   #29

We were dry camping at Mammoth Cave National Park recently for 6 days and even the Honda's can be annoying if they are not yours.

That said, we ran ours for about 30 min every other day and kept the batt fully charged. We have a new Trojan Batt and I did an LED upgrade just before that trip.

btw...To help justify the cost of the Honda 2k, I added a hard wired back flow circuit to our home electrical panel so I could use the Honda during power outages. We obviously can't run everything, but it will power the refrigerator, freezer & furnace (Gas forced air) at the same time and there is still enough power left for some lights, TV, WiFi, etc.

A good investment!
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 03:23 AM   #30

The plywood works just make sure the genny can still get fresh air they are air cooled. I wouldn't worry about it just go have fun and use the plywood. Run it during the day when others are out and about doing other stuff. This is where solar comes in handy and your batteries are always topped off if sized right. Also put LED lights in to reduce the load on your battery. Happy Camping and we all know others aren't as fortunate as some. If you were camped by me I'd let you charge off my solar system.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 07:28 AM   #31

The majority of our camping is dry, and a couple of hours of generator use mid day, especially if you've dampened the sound, is fine. An easy fix is a solar panel. I have a 200 watt Zamp system that I absolutely love, but you can find cheap 100 watt panels on Amazon.
If you are going to do a lot, it pays to go solar and upgrade your batteries.
The big question is how long are you camping and what are you running? If all it is is a few LED lights and your pump, you won't use much, if trying to run fans and appliances with an inverter, then you'll use a lot.
Make sure to fully recharge your battery when you return and keep it topped off when dormant for proper battery maintenance, performance, and life.
2016 nights camped: 7, wife was pregnant
2015 nights camped: 29
ablindmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:08 AM   #32
Site Team

If you are only planning to dry camp one or two times a year and don't want to buy a quiet generator, look at the one of the solar set ups similar to the one below. ( not recommending any specific one) it can be propped up on milk crates or simple PVC frame. It will provide charging and should be acceptable unless you are using a lot of power ie furnace, TV etc. It can always be added on later if you need more.
http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Solar-P...s=solar+panels

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonzie View Post
Can't tell you that as it all depends how depleted your battery is and your vehicle charging capacity is: but I would say at least 1/2 hour but it will not be fully charged

You can always call them and ask:

Public Information Inquiries
TEL 800-777-0369
916-653-6995
Using your truck is going to take a few hours, if not longer. You will have to run the truck a number of times to keep it charged, and watch it closely! .

You don't want a dead truck battery. You have a generator so use it during the allowed times. Run it for two hours every other day should keep your trailer battery charged enough.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:50 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
If you are only planning to dry camp one or two times a year and don't want to buy a quiet generator, look at the one of the solar set ups similar to the one below. ( not recommending any specific one) it can be propped up on milk crates or simple PVC frame. It will provide charging and should be acceptable unless you are using a lot of power ie furnace, TV etc. It can always be added on later if you need more.
Now that is the best price I have seen on Renogy and maybe the most concise warranty on any. Might make me switch from WindyNation.com, Ventura, CA as Renogy is located five miles from here in Chino, CA. But I notice their package does not include Z brackets for mounting and I think Windy does. If you are in So Cal, either is overnight delivery as they probably both use UPS and UPS ground is based in Ontario for most of SoCal, making truck delivery overnight or at worst two days.
Old 07-24-2015, 09:52 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifeytojosh View Post
Not really a forest river specific question but I know there are a lot of experienced campers on this site.

My family and I are going dry camping for the first time ever this weekend to the California coast and there are no hookups. I have a brand new battery on our rig. I don't have a small portable quiet generator. We only have a traditional gasoline powered, very loud generator. I know generators can only be run during the day time hours so we will use this time to charge the battery. How badly will I make other campers annoyed with the loud generator? It's all we have and can't afford a quiet one right now. When you have gone dry camping, is it common for people to use a loud generator?
We might be over thinking this one just a bit. If you're only going for a weekend you should be able to get by without charging at all. We use battery powered lanterns to light up the patio and then take them inside she we are ready to retire. Battery use is minimal for the water pump and what lights might be required inside the TT. IMHO you should be able to get through the weekend with judicious battery use. Longer outings will mean recharging but for a weekend trip the most important thing is to
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_1337.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	83974  
Currently enjoying second childhood
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:05 AM   #36

BTW for those fighting the 30 amp or Generator's ability to carry both the AC and the Micro without blowing something, many times your problem is probably that you have something else running. The power converter can use 30 amps if the batteries are low and the waterheater can use as much as 10 amps. So the Microwave while air conditioning problem is solved for most of us if the WH electric is turned off and like us, the converter is UNPLUGGED unless in a pinch we need it, as the solar keeps out batteries topped off daily. So the solar helps out even if you are on a hook up
Old 07-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #37

Shoot me a PM and let me know where you are staying. We camp quit a bit along the CA coast and maybe if I know where you are staying I can give you better advice.
2014 Brute Force 300 (daughters)
2016 Days Camped: 22
Check Us Out On YOUTUBE!!
PolarisGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:48 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
How long is the wire from the controller to the batteries?

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:51 AM   #39

Took about 20 feet of wiring in my roof mounted to battery configuration. My camping buddy and his wife run their's on the ground and have 25 feet of wire from the controller and about 5 ft from the controller to the battery. That give him about 25 feet to set it out of the shade. His is way more efficient as he can move it to keep it directly pointed at the sun while mine lays flat on the roof. His 100 gets him nearly what my 200 on the roof gets, if he is attentive to moving it to follow the sun, but mine is a no brainer, mounted it and set it up and all I do is check my battery voltage after sunset most evenings to be sure I am fully charged.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #40

Everybody has a different tolerance level regarding noise. If you're friendly with your neighbors, they're more apt to overlook an hour or two of your generator running to charge up your batteries. As mentioned above, daytime is best when people are out and about.
KQ2N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camping, dry camping, first time