Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2016, 10:18 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
If I'm feeling lazy, I boil water and use coffee "tea" bags or put my favorite ground coffee in a tea strainer.
No electricity used just propane to boil the water.
This is what we do when we're dry. I find I don't particularly like the taste of the bags as much, but I'm camping..I'll get over it. I'd be doing the same thing if I were in a tent.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by raspivey View Post
This is what we do when we're dry. I find I don't particularly like the taste of the bags as much, but I'm camping..I'll get over it. I'd be doing the same thing if I were in a tent.
No, do not like the bags. The pot referenced above is as close as you can get to a non electric Bunn coffee maker as you can get. I like my coffee so it is worth the cost to me.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 08:45 AM   #23

I usually supplement the coffee bags with 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee.

I'm not embarrassed to admit instant coffee use. In fact, I'm in good company

Not to Sound Alarmist, But Instant Coffee Is Taking Over the World | Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nstant-coffee/

Unlike many, I'm not a coffee snob and less so when camping. I love using coffee bags on long ATV or snowmobile trips when I stop to take a lunch break, heat up some food and add a steaming cup of coffee to go with it....warms the soul.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:01 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I usually supplement the coffee bags with 1/2 teaspoon of instant coffee.

I'm not embarrassed to admit instant coffee use. In fact, I'm in good company

Not to Sound Alarmist, But Instant Coffee Is Taking Over the World | Daily Coffee News by Roast Magazine

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...nstant-coffee/

Unlike many, I'm not a coffee snob and less so when camping. I love using coffee bags on long ATV or snowmobile trips when I stop to take a lunch break, heat up some food and add a steaming cup of coffee to go with it....warms the soul.
I don't consider myself a coffee snob but like what I like. I have a one burner propane stove I can heat water on. Also have a filter strainer from a dead coffee pot. Been know to put a filter and coffee in it and balance it over a glass carafe. pour water thru it and have hot coffee for lunch. This stays in my truck for when I need it. All spare parts but it works, LOL!

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:04 AM   #25

Tea strainer. Never thought of that. Will give it a try. Have a French Press but seldom use so that too is an option for travel without hookups.

I am a zombie without my morning coffee. Two cups at least before I can talk.

We have stayed in RV parks that offer morning coffee. A life saver.

GT
greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:30 AM   #26
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmsherman View Post
You might be surprised to learn that your fridge draws over 25A or more a day. This is for a fridge running on propane; caused by the fridge's door seal heater.

Check the control panel for your fridge for a connection labelled "light/heater" If you remove the wire plugged into it, it will eliminate this drain on the battery but will also turn off the interior light. Be careful removing the wire if your fridge is plugged into 110AC because there's usually an exposed 110 connector nearby.

I always unplug the wire on my fridge when dry camping.

Phil
There is a very easy mode to fix this.

If your fridge has a switch in the freezer door make sure it is OFF when on battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dometic climate switch.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	107227   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3341.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	107229   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP3342.jpg
Views:	152