Old 07-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #1

Dual Cutoff Switch Questions

All,
I installed a Wirthco Battery Doctor dual cutoff switch with the intention to wire two batteries to the TT. Unfortunately I'm not great with electricity, so if you could answer a couple of questions I'd appreciate it.

If I wire the switch as in the picture below, and set the switch to 1+2, would:

1. both batteries get charged by the truck and/or inverter?
2. the voltage out be 12v or 24v?

I've looked all over the net and can't find an answer. The only thing in the switch documentation says it works up to 48 volts, but doesn't give a lot of info, and nothing about the end results.

Would it be better to run the batteries in parallel and run the single positive out through switch position 1 and only use switch position 1?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:23 AM   #2

With the switch set to both, both batteries WOULD get charged. It would be 12 volts.
BTW, just so everyone looking gets the right concept, you would be using a convertor to charge the batteries not an inverter. Inverter makes 120 volts from 12 volts. Don't think that is what you are doing, or is it?

As far as your question about running both batteries in parallel, what is your desired end result? Just more battery power, or the ability to kick in a fresh battery if you wear one down.

Old 07-14-2014, 05:06 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
With the switch set to both, both batteries WOULD get charged. It would be 12 volts.
BTW, just so everyone looking gets the right concept, you would be using a convertor to charge the batteries not an inverter. Inverter makes 120 volts from 12 volts. Don't think that is what you are doing, or is it?

As far as your question about running both batteries in parallel, what is your desired end result? Just more battery power, or the ability to kick in a fresh battery if you wear one down.
Not using an inverter. Just wrong terminology. Told you I don't know much about electricity

Desired end result was 12v out and the ability to use (for longer time), charge and turn off both batteries at once. I only brought up the parallel setup if the switch setup resulted in 24v.

Thanks for the info.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:25 AM   #4

My dual batteries are wired in parallel for 12v, I installed my battery disconnect switch to the battery/ cable that runs to the chassis ground. With the ground connected through the switch everything works fine and charges. With the the ground open, nothing, batteries disconnected from everything. Works great...
Old 07-14-2014, 10:00 AM   #5

Campster,
That's the kind of setup I was getting at when I mentioned setting up in parallel. I wonder if there's any advantage to doing it one way or the other (parallel vs as in the drawing). Any thoughts?
Old 07-14-2014, 07:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeBier View Post
Campster,
That's the kind of setup I was getting at when I mentioned setting up in parallel. I wonder if there's any advantage to doing it one way or the other (parallel vs as in the drawing). Any thoughts?
I'm not sure why you would need a switch like that for your application? Seems like that set up gives you the ability to isolate one battery...My switch is a heavy duty marine application with only one pole. I leave my batteries connected in parallel all the time. I just use the switch to open or close the connection to ground. Either there is a path for current to flow or there isn't. I have done it this way to all the travel trailers I have owned and it works great. I use the converter to charge the batteries fully then remove the ac cord from the trailer. Then because of all the current drawing detectors and things I disconnect the batteries from the trailer using the switch. My batteries stay charged for a really long time. I don't like keeping the trailer plugged into ac all the time, just me...I can find you the switch I used if you want?
Old 07-14-2014, 10:08 PM   #7

Campster,
Thanks for the info. Don't worry about looking up the switch. I already installed the one on the trailer.

I agree I could have bought a single pole switch, but I figured I may want to switch to the individual batteries for one reason or another.

Thanks to Evereddie, too.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Glad it worked out.....