Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #1

dumb mistake, battery connected backwards

Thought I would post this in case it helps somebody else troubleshoot. TT is in storage and I keep the battery in the basement at the house. Went out Wed and picked up the trailer, installed the battery, towed to campground, leveled using electronic jack, and extended stabilizers. Plugged in shore power, heard pop, everything in trailer is dead. Checked the fuse box and both 40a fuses were blown. Ran out and got new fuses, tried to install and it blew again. Turned off power at pole, new fuse still blew. Went and checked battery, and sure enough, red was connected to negative and black to positive.
Dummy. Anyway, everything seems to work except i need to reset the radio.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:41 AM   #2
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Thought I would post this in case it helps somebody else troubleshoot. TT is in storage and I keep the battery in the basement at the house. Went out Wed and picked up the trailer, installed the battery, towed to campground, leveled using electronic jack, and extended stabilizers. Plugged in shore power, heard pop, everything in trailer is dead. Checked the fuse box and both 40a fuses were blown. Ran out and got new fuses, tried to install and it blew again. Turned off power at pole, new fuse still blew. Went and checked battery, and sure enough, red was connected to negative and black to positive.
Check your tow vehicle 7 pin connector 12v supply fuse. (if equipped)
It may have blown that too when you connected to the tow vehicle.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:11 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll take a look.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:19 PM   #4

For those who remove and reinstall batteries frequently why not install one of these:

The connectors are polarized so you can't reverse the connections. Put one connector on the ground/positive wires from the trailer and then add a couple of cables on the battery, just long enough to have a convenient connection point, then install the mating connector.

This system is often used on golf carts and forklifts where batteries are exchanged rather than charged in the unit so they can be returned to service in minutes rather than hours.

You can find them on e-bay for less than $15 for #8 wires which is the usual OEM wire size from RV mfr's.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
For those who remove and reinstall batteries frequently why not install one of these:

The connectors are polarized so you can't reverse the connections. Put one connector on the ground/positive wires from the trailer and then add a couple of cables on the battery, just long enough to have a convenient connection point, then install the mating connector.

This system is often used on golf carts and forklifts where batteries are exchanged rather than charged in the unit so they can be returned to service in minutes rather than hours.

You can find them on e-bay for less than $15 for #8 wires which is the usual OEM wire size from RV mfr's.
Totally Agree! These work, & I have on my trailer, primarily to switch to my backup battery, but also when removing batteries for storage.
ACE110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:37 PM   #6

As a poet once said “Let me count the dumb RV mistakes I’ve made over the years. Well let’s not spend an entire day or two doing that!” Welcome to the club! We are “The Humans Club!” Dan & Gerda
Dan n Gerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:39 PM   #7

Thumbs up solder lugs on cables

Mike
You have a great suggestion, As a retired forklift tech. I strongly urge using these type plugs, I use them,(every where) also jumper cables,with plug in the grill ,When some one needs a jump.

YouTube has how to solder on lugs to heavy cable. Would advise doing so. If you don't want to do it your self, go to a forklift repair shop, and have them made. Have your measurements ready, or even a golf cart shop? Not a golfer and not sure what to expect in one of their shops? I am sure lots of places will do it for the right price!!!!

Lot of golf carts use a smaller size plug, with exact same set up. I prefer the next size up. At Amazon there is a set of 2 plugs/lugs and with rubber covers .This is a for sure a battery disconnect for winterizing!

copy and paste the following for Amazon less than $16.00 for 2

WGCD 175A Battery Quick Disconnect Connector Plug Kit Trailer Winch Connector Grey

The smaller size is less than $11.00, and it will be listed as well.

By the way your lucky if all you did is pop fuses, I have seen batteries blow off the lugs. and do serious circuit damage.This will be a fail safe and great addition to any battery system, to prevent it from happening . I use these as well on my solar system at my cabin!

Happy Trails

David
Old 06-29-2018, 02:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACE110 View Post
Totally Agree! These work, & I have on my trailer, primarily to switch to my backup battery, but also when removing batteries for storage.
+1, absolutely the easiest way to hook up your battery.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:58 PM   #9

What are those connectors called?
CamperGuy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperGuy55 View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Anderson-Powe...ole+connectors
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:27 PM   #11

Thumbs up battery plugs

CamperGuy55

they are called SB50 plugs,

fonzie's link to Amazon is a good price.
Old 06-29-2018, 06:24 PM   #12

I did the same thing. It blew the inline fuse for my radio. So I would check that fuse.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:14 PM   #13

Quick connect

Those are called "Anderson Connectors". Available in several sizes, and also keyed so you can't plug a 48 volt battery into a 24 volt fork lift. As long as both halves are te same color, they will fit!

You can commonly get the ones shown (rated 50 amps continuous) that will take a #6 wire nice and snug. I recommend crimping the terminals rather than soldering them if you plan to use any heavy, long term loads...such as an inverter. I used the 175 amp ones on my 2k with great success. I think the best wire to use for the "big stuff" is welding cable. Tough insulation, and very fine stranding, which is also great in mobile installations.
Photo Lab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamperGuy55 View Post
Anderson connectors, get the rubber boots too.
dtptrson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtptrson View Post
Anderson connectors, get the rubber boots too.
Amazon: Spurtar 50A Battery Cable Wire Quick Connect Disconnect Tool Winch, Fits 6-8 Gauge Wire and 12-36 Voltage, UL Certified - With Handle.
Price: $8.99

Click image for larger version

Name:	71TM5etzA5L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	177750
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:14 AM   #16
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post

Dummy? Absolutely not! We all are (will be) prone to brain farts/senior moments and my hat is off to you for sharing this particular bit of errant flatulence.

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:18 AM   #17

I thought everything was ok too but i actually blew the converter. Didn't really notice since I usually hook up to shore power but noticed the battery wasn't charging while towing and then the Lippert 6 point leveling system started acting up. Keep an eye on the converter it was humming and not doing anything.
clicker1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:01 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post
I thought everything was ok too but i actually blew the converter. Didn't really notice since I usually hook up to shore power but noticed the battery wasn't charging while towing and then the Lippert 6 point leveling system started acting up. Keep an eye on the converter it was humming and not doing anything.
"Blowing a Converter" is pretty hard to do in this day and age considering the "short proof" measures that manufacturers include in them now.

Hook them up backwards and there are a pair of fuses that provide initial protection. If replacing them doesn't return the converter to service, look inside. I know, I know, the stickers all say "no user serviceable parts inside" but that depends on the user. I have an old converter I replaced that has a fuse soldered to the circuit board. Kind of a last line of defense against reverse polarity or dead shorts.

Many solid state power supplies today have a feature that shuts them down completely if a short (excessive current above a set level) is detected. Resetting is often as simple as turning off, correcting the "short" then turning back on.

Not that it doesn't happen, it's just a lot harder to do today when compared to early converters.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:20 PM   #19
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by clicker1944 View Post

Did you check the reverse polarity fuses? Converter not working and not charging while towing is two different problems, one has nothing to do with the other.

If you connect the battery to the trailer backwards you will blow the Reverse Polarity fuses. These fuses are between the converter and the battery. If you were towing while the battery was connected wrong then you have a fuse in the tow vehicle that blew.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #20

I did this a couple weeks ago before our trip. I had to pull out my radio and change the inline fuse.
mpotapa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery