Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-25-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Duracell golf cart batteries for solar

I'm in the process of installing a small solar system for my 16' travel trailer. The best true deep-cycle 6V golf cart battery values in my area are the Duracell units through Sam's Club (including core charges). About $30 less per battery.

Any thoughts on the Duracells vs Trojans or Interstates (at Costco)?

Thanks.
Outsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 05:06 PM   #2

I've bought sixteen of the Trojan T-105 six volt batteries at a nearby golf cart shop. This is where I found the best price for them. $115 each.
I believe they are a slightly better battery than the equivalent at Costco but that is my opinion.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 06:02 PM   #3
Retired Old Fart

I know the Sam's Clubs in GA seem to all have the Duracell batteries which are made by East Penn Mfg. East Penn is also the same company that makes Deka batteries. Not saying Duracell and Deka are identical, but I am saying East Penn is known for making very good products. It has also been reported that Sam's Duracell GC2 is the same as Deka GC10, and Sam's Duracell EGC2 same as Deka GC15 (which is an AGM glass mat battery).

Here is a link to the East Penn Deka GC model spec's in PDF format:

https://www.eastpennmanufacturing.co...Flyer-0248.pdf
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 06:10 PM   #4

From the limited review I did of specs, the Trojan deep cycle batteries may offer some more cycles in return for their higher cost. I can't see reaching 1,000 cycles in 20 years.

But unlike golf carts, the number of cycles is probably NOT the limitation on battery life in/on an RV. More likely the life limit will be reached due to number of deep discharges (discharges below 40%), sulfation from not recharging immediately after a deep discharge, vibration and bumps in the road causing plates to shed and eventually short, and/or letting water level get below top of plates.

I use the Costco Interstate only because I have Costco and not Sam's Club - they are equal in my opinion. Provided I don't let too many of the bad things happen, I expect to see 6+ years out of my Interstates. With Trojan, I might get a 7th year. Not worth the price difference to me. You might think differently.

Fred W
2019 Flagstaff T21TBHW A-frame
2008 Hyundai Entourage minivan
camping Colorado and adjacent states one weekend at a time
pgandw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 02:08 PM   #5

I think Fred has it exactly right...Trojans the better battery. Duracells the better deal.
If you are gonna cycle them often...the best way to get your money's worth is to get a real battery monitor and top them up FULLY and don't let them get much below 50% charge before you bring them back to 100%. You might find a pro-fill system for watering makes that chore easier depending on the location and ease of access to your batts.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

I have the Duracell ECG batteries. My experience over 2 years is very positive. I havent had any issues at all.
As other posters have mentioned, get a good battery monitor, never discharge below 50%, check water levels every month or more frequent if in a hot environment. Practice responsible battery maintenance and you'll get long life and good services from most any battery designed for rv or solar applications.

Biggest killer is over discharge. Dont do it!
goreviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 06:56 PM   #7
Retired Old Fart

It's a lot easier to stay at 50% or greater charge with the golf cart batteries than standard 12v deep cycle ones due to their greater ampacity to start with. Having more amps at 100% charge will let most people do what they need without running them all the way down. Also if you are someone inclined to convert to golf cart batteries, you are probably more conscious of proper battery usage and the damage from over discharging them.
dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
batteries, solar