Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2011, 07:40 AM   #1

Electric Hookup At Home

I ran my electric from my main box to the outside of the house where I park my camper. I have a 30 amp breaker inside, with two 110 outlets and the 30 amp hookup for the camper. The biggest cost was the electrical wire...Here is a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Electric Hookup.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	5612  
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #2

Nice job!
I did the same thing myself.
I also had sticker shock when I went to Lowes to buy the wire.

It's nice being able to run thre A/C when we are loading up the trailer in 1oo degree heat.

Thanks for sharing.
Bill

"I've got a mind like a steele.. a......a steele......um.....uh...... what's that thing called again?
fivecodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dawg View Post
I ran my electric from my main box to the outside of the house where I park my camper. I have a 30 amp breaker inside, with two 110 outlets and the 30 amp hookup for the camper. The biggest cost was the electrical wire...Here is a picture
From the look of your picture. Your electrical work appears to be in violation of the electrical codes.
Are the 2 receptacles and the RV receptacle all on the 30 amp breaker together?
If so, you may overload that breaker if you have something plugged into the receptacles while running the loads in the RV. If you used 10/2 wire which is rated for 30 amps and have the full load of the RV and something else plugged into the receptacles with a load that combined exceeds the 30 amps it will cause the breaker to trip.
Another thing is those receptacles are not rated for the 30 amps supplied to them. They are 15 amp rated receptacles meaning nothing over that 15 amp rating should be plugged in to them. You run the risk of having a serious problem with something drawing too many amps and not tripping the breaker and catching fire since the breaker is too large for those receptacles.
Your 30 amp circuit for the RV should be a dedicated circuit and the receptacles should be on a seperate circuit that is a GFIC protected circuit since they are outside. The two different wires can not be run in the same conduit either. Easiest solution is to remove the receptacles and wire nut & tape them inside the top box and get a water tight box cover to seal them from the weather. Then run a new circuit protected with either a GFIC Receptacle or GFIC Breaker in the panel to outside near the same location.
I'm bringing this to your attention because heaven forbid if it caused a fire and was investigated your insurance company most likely would not cover your loss.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 06:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
From the look of your picture. Your electrical work appears to be in violation of the electrical codes.
Are the 2 receptacles and the RV receptacle all on the 30 amp breaker together?
If so, you may overload that breaker if you have something plugged into the receptacles while running the loads in the RV. If you used 10/2 wire which is rated for 30 amps and have the full load of the RV and something else plugged into the receptacles with a load that combined exceeds the 30 amps it will cause the breaker to trip.
Another thing is those receptacles are not rated for the 30 amps supplied to them. They are 15 amp rated receptacles meaning nothing over that 15 amp rating should be plugged in to them. You run the risk of having a serious problem with something drawing too many amps and not tripping the breaker and catching fire since the breaker is too large for those receptacles.
Your 30 amp circuit for the RV should be a dedicated circuit and the receptacles should be on a seperate circuit that is a GFIC protected circuit since they are outside. The two different wires can not be run in the same conduit either. Easiest solution is to remove the receptacles and wire nut & tape them inside the top box and get a water tight box cover to seal them from the weather. Then run a new circuit protected with either a GFIC Receptacle or GFIC Breaker in the panel to outside near the same location.
I'm bringing this to your attention because heaven forbid if it caused a fire and was investigated your insurance company most likely would not cover your loss.
Thanks for the info, never took that into concideration. Looks like I have some more work to do.
2 Beagles (Snoopy & Dexter)

Big Dawg is offline   Reply With Quote