Old 07-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #1

Electric issue

We hooked up at a camp site last night and shortly thereafter noticed all but 1 of the receptacle's not working. My ceiling fan/light also does not work. I have 2 GFI plugs one in the kitchen area and the other near the sink in the bedroom area. The only receptacle that works is the GFI in the kitchen. I've checked the breakers and fuses and all are good. I checked the reset button on both GFI's and the kitchen is good but the GFI in the bedroom does not work. I push the button and nothing. Will this cause all other receptacle's to stop working and is this GFI receptacle bad? All other appliances work.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #2

Yes, you have a bad GFI. We had one go as well, and it did affect a few other plugs, but I cannot remember exactly. Change out that GFI and hopefully that solves the problem.
We have GFI's in the house for years with no issues, not sure why the ones in the camper are faulty? At first I attributed to just more Chinese junk installed in our campers, but when I replaced it with one from the hardware store, it was exactly the same. Maybe it is the variability of campground power that fries them?
Hope the fix works for you.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #3

I will replace it and see. The wife just told me our central vac wasn't working either. I guess off the to Lowes or Home Depot.
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #4

It is possible that you are only getting power through one leg from the hook up breakers at the RV site. I would go out and reset the breakers at the camp site plug before spending any money.
2000 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager M-8357 MH, Ford Trident V10 Gasser, 35 foot.
Batts-toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #5

Are you hooked to 50 amp or a 30 amp hook up at your site? We are camping at a State Park and have 50 amp hook up. I thought great I plugged in and the air conditioner worked but none of the outlets. So I got out my 30 amp adapter and plugged in that way and everything worked. I told a park ranger about it and he came back later with a tester and on one leg of the 50 amp he had power and on the other leg he had to poke the very bottom of it to get power. He said he would have to turn off about 4 sites to fix mine. I told him not to worry about it now but to check it out when the campground wasn't so busy.
So you may want to check that out also.
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #6

Currently hooked up to 50 amp. I've tried the reset of the outside breaker and still the same. I guess I will be contacting the park host and let him know.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Team

Do you have a multi-tester, so you can check to make sure the park pedestal is providing 120 volts on line 1 (L1) and 120 volts on line 2 (L2) from the 50 amp outlet, as kc8lvy and Batts-toy suggested?

You can go to this site, then click the outlet testing tab on the left to see the electrical values you should be getting for a 14-50R outlet. There is a pic of it there with the values in text beside it.

http://www.myrv.us/electric/

If no multi-tester, there is a quick way to test if you have two air-conditioner units, as one unit will get power from the L1 side and the other will get power from the L2 side.

If both AC units are working, then you are at least getting power on the both L1 and L2 sides in your RV.

If only one AC unit works, then you most likely got a supply problem somewhere.

P.S. I am assuming your trailer is in fact a true 50 amp RV, since you said you were plugged into a 50 amp outlet................and not a 30 amp RV that you are using an adapter to plug into the 50 amp outlet with. Is this assumption correct?

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:44 PM   #8

Just a quick note, I'm sure you meant 120 VOLTS on L1 and L2, not AMPS.
Old 07-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwind View Post
Just a quick note, I'm sure you meant 120 VOLTS on L1 and L2, not AMPS.
I did and corrected it. Thanks

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:08 PM   #10

Yes most all GFCI have receps down stream which feed from them. They are wired in a daisy chain fashion in that if the first device doesn't have power the balance won't either. Conversely if the first is on they all have the same protection. Very possible the GFI that will not reset has no power supplied. This can be due to the push in wire connection was never stripped or is not inserted deep enough. When you go to change it, just try to reestablish that connection and re power up, might save you from the complete change out.