Old 05-16-2016, 04:11 PM   #11

I had a loose shear pin that dropped out of the shafts so that motor spun but screw did not. Re-installed pin, added small hose clamp to keep pin in place, added to warranty list. And the list grows.

Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #12

Tnx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
I had a loose shear pin that dropped out of the shafts so that motor spun but screw did not. Re-installed pin, added small hose clamp to keep pin in place, added to warranty list. And the list grows.
I called Lippert this morning and my issue is the exact same. I was going to order a new shear pin, BUT; $12.50 for shipping and $3.50 for a pin is NUTS. Going to ACE tomorrow snd getting cotter key same dimensions.
Even the tech dept told me that was the way to go. Parts is Parts 😳

Old 05-16-2016, 07:57 PM   #13

shear pin

Be aware that a sheer pin is designed to break at a specific load BEFORE damage is done to other compnonents. A cotter key is usually much harder and may not sheer off before severe damage occurs. If you decide to not go with the proper pin you might check a local marine dealer to see if an outboard prop sheer pin will fit.
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:22 PM   #14
2007 WildCat 32QBBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Be aware that a sheer pin is designed to break at a specific load BEFORE damage is done to other compnonents. A cotter key is usually much harder and may not sheer off before severe damage occurs. If you decide to not go with the proper pin you might check a local marine dealer to see if an outboard prop sheer pin will fit.
I think quite the opposite. A cotter pin is soft material, easily cut and bent by hand. I don't see the cotter pin holding up.
05CrewDually is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
All the cotter pins I've seen are pretty soft and meant to be bent. Shear pins are brittle and made of a tempered material.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:31 PM   #16

Great idea

Tnx Cedar Creek Woody. Several marina stores within 10 miles. Have the correct size so a few calls and perhaps luck.

I will add that I was under the rv and inspected the issue and root cause. Most likely FELL OUT. I retracted my rear jack(s), both on same drive component and relocated my RV to another spot in our rv resort. Had to traverse 2 MEAN SPEED BUMPS!

I am not overly concerned using a cotter key vs shear pin in this application. I am positioned at the rear of the unit and have excellent visual of the jack movement.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #17

sheer pin

The point is sheer pins are designed to break at a specific force calculated to protect your equipment. Some are aluminum, some brass, some steel, etc. A cotter pin is mallable and designed to bend, as you stated, but this could prevent it breaking at the desired load. Just be careful that you don't defeat a safety item engineered to protect your equipment.
Old 05-17-2016, 02:30 PM   #18

Shear pin

I was able to buy a 5/32 shear pin locally. ( West Marine ). Now I just need a weeee bit of luck that it fits easily and RV life will return to GREAT! If not, back to CUSSING! 👍
Old 05-17-2016, 03:48 PM   #19

Pin

Great! Glad you found one locally.

Tags
electric, jacks