Old 02-15-2015, 01:36 PM   #1

Electric problem 12v and generator

We are in a 2014 Berkshire 400bh and having some electrical problems.

We were boondocking in Death Valley (arrived Thursday night everything was working fine until yesterday morning. Generator won't start unless Aux power switch is held down. Release Aux switch generator shuts off. We switched over to a shore power site and then none of the 12v lights work (110 outlets do work). I'm thinking there is a big fuse we haven't found, a problem with the converter? Thoughts?

We are on the road to Vegas now, when the engine is running everything works fine.

Kelsma03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 08:53 PM   #2

Do the coach batteries have a charge? did someone accidently hit the battery disconnect switch? Inverter On?
I'm sure you have checked these already but thought I would throw them out there

Old 02-15-2015, 09:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelsma03 View Post
We are in a 2014 Berkshire 400bh and having some electrical problems.

We were boondocking in Death Valley (arrived Thursday night everything was working fine until yesterday morning. Generator won't start unless Aux power switch is held down. Release Aux switch generator shuts off. We switched over to a shore power site and then none of the 12v lights work (110 outlets do work). I'm thinking there is a big fuse we haven't found, a problem with the converter? Thoughts?

We are on the road to Vegas now, when the engine is running everything works fine.
There are usually reverse polarity fuses in the converter or power panel which protect the converter to the batteries in event of wrong installation. Also there is a disconnect somewhere in the pos cable of the battery to the converter. Either will stop the coach batteries from reaching the DC Bus. Some generators require 12VDC feed to operate the electronic governor and/or excitation requirements. When you push aux switch the chassis batteries come into play when you release there is no more 12VDC available.
Old 03-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Electric problem 12v and generator

I own a 2013 forest river sunseeker, onan 4000 generator. My problem is the generator doesn't turn over when I try to start it, it may grunt a couple of times, then rapid click.....acting like it's not getting juice. However if I jump it directly at the generator by connecting a charger/starter 110 v to it it cranks and starts right up, and stays running until I shut it off. If I try to start it again, same thing, have to jump it again. The house batteries are fully charged and operate everything else.

Tags
electric, generator