Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #1

Electric stabilizers - 8315BSS

Anyone else have this issue ? -
When retracting the electric stabilizer jacks on our new Rockwood 8315BSS, if the jacks are allowed to retract to the stops it will instantly blow the 15A fuse in the converter panel. Seems to me that there should be some sort of "auto-stop" which would prevent this from happening. Any thoughts ??

...VTX-AL
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:00 AM   #2

I have the semi-electric jacks (cordless drill) so I don't have any experience with the electric jacks, but that don't sound right to me. I would check with your dealer if you haven't already. I'm assuming that your still under warranty and they should cover any repairs.

Someone on here who has the electric jacks should be able to help you with better info.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Anyone else have this issue ? -
When retracting the electric stabilizer jacks on our new Rockwood 8315BSS, if the jacks are allowed to retract to the stops it will instantly blow the 15A fuse in the converter panel. Seems to me that there should be some sort of "auto-stop" which would prevent this from happening. Any thoughts ??

...VTX-AL
I recall someone else here having the same problem but don't remember what they did about it. You might do a search for that topic to find the thread.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 01:36 PM   #4
Janitor

Maybe use an auto resetting 15A breaker?
dirtengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #5

Retracting the electric stabilizers (or front electric jack for that matter) hasn't ever blown the fuse. I usually operate the jack and stabilizers with the 7-pin connector hooked up to the tow vehicle; haven't tried it just off the battery.
GreatEscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #6
2009 830RBSS

I've operated mine off the battery, and I have never blown it. I do hold the switch until they hit the stop and I haven't had a problem.
Old 04-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
Site Team - Lou

That was me. Yes I had the very same problem with my 2010 8526RLWS.

I found the BLACK 30 AMP blade fuse holder near the battery. Orange wire from the up down switch. Replaced it with an auto-resetting 30 AMP fuse from Auto-Zone. 15 is too small and will blow.

The up and down limit on the front landing gear is that 30 amp blade fuse (bad design) as the up down limit is "motor stall" and fuse burn out.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/291...r?vhost=travel

Check out the other photos in that group.

There is a hidden current limiter near the rear electric stab jack up/down switch inside the entertainment center.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/221...D?vhost=travel
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 07:33 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Stupid me! I re-read your post and realized you were blowing the 15 amp fuse on the rear stabs.

Photo here:

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/285...N?vhost=travel

Look for the back of the up/down switch and see if there is a auto-resetting fuse near it like the photo here.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/221...D?vhost=travel

If not you should add one. Not sure the can type blade fuse will fit in your power center.

Its a PITA to read the writing on the installed one in my camper as I can't get much closer to it without throwing my back out (lol) so I don't know what rating it is. It has to be less than 15 amps cause the panel fuse has never blown. Maybe 10?
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #9

Thanks to everyone, especially herk7769. I have an email out to Forest River detailing the issue and will wait to see their response. Would rather have dealer perform repairs/mod if possible as the trailer is new and under warrantee.

...VTX-Al
Old 05-13-2011, 11:45 AM   #10

I realize this is an old post, but, did you ever get a resolution from Forest River?

I had the same thing happen to me (with Lippert Stabilizer Jacks) on the first day home! I went to put the jacks down, and accidentally pressed the switch to Retract. The motor ran for a micro-second, and all noise/motion stopped. I thought it just blew the self-resetting breaker located by the switch. After a min or two, I tried it again, and nothing. I tried the rear jacks, nothing. Found a blown 20A fuse in the Power Center, labeled Power Jacks. Changed the fuse and all is well. I have packed a box of 20A fuses, just in case, but, this does not seem right. I will buy a 20A self resetting blade-type breaker if I can find one...

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 01:54 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalik282 View Post
I realize this is an old post, but, did you ever get a resolution from Forest River?

I had the same thing happen to me (with Lippert Stabilizer Jacks) on the first day home! I went to put the jacks down, and accidentally pressed the switch to Retract. The motor ran for a micro-second, and all noise/motion stopped. I thought it just blew the self-resetting breaker located by the switch. After a min or two, I tried it again, and nothing. I tried the rear jacks, nothing. Found a blown 20A fuse in the Power Center, labeled Power Jacks. Changed the fuse and all is well. I have packed a box of 20A fuses, just in case, but, this does not seem right. I will buy a 20A self resetting blade-type breaker if I can find one...

John
My dealer installed self-resetting fuses in the power center to correct this issue, at no charge.

...VTX-AL
Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #12

Although the self resetting fuses may fix the problem, it really doesn't cure the cause. There must be some underlying caues that is making the fuse blow. I think it should be investigated further to find that cause. JMHO.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Although the self resetting fuses may fix the problem, it really doesn't cure the cause. There must be some underlying caues that is making the fuse blow. I think it should be investigated further to find that cause. JMHO.
Not arguing with your comment , however it is a design issue , not a problem that has developed. My trailer and at least several others that I know of, had this problem when brand-new units fresh from the factory. IMHO there should have been limit switches at the top of travel.

...VTX-AL
Old 05-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #14

Did the same fix to my landing gear. Replaced fuse with auto reset circuit breaker. My rear electric stabs already had the circuit breaker from the factory.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:03 PM   #15

Thanks for all the updates...and glad to know I'm not the only one still having trouble with this!

John
Nights Camped: '06=122 '07=12 '08=18 '09=10 '10=18 '11=28 '12=16
kalik282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #16

I too am currently under going the same issue with the rear jacks, please let us know what forest river says. I have put the jacks up and down 4 times and have blown the fuse twice.
ktman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktman View Post
I too am currently under going the same issue with the rear jacks, please let us know what forest river says. I have put the jacks up and down 4 times and have blown the fuse twice.
Forest River is not saying anything. And your fuse is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Here is the issue: When you retract your electric stabilizers, if you continue to hold the switch too long after the stabilizers have reached the end of their travel, the motor still attemps to move them. The electric motor, trying to turn against the stop, draws excessive current and pops the fuse. If the fuse didn't blow, the motor would heat up and burn out. Not good !! If you don't want to replace the standard fuse with an auto-resetting fuse, then you are going to have to remember to release the retract switch BEFORE the stabilizers reach the end of their travel.

I realize that there is probably a better way to permanently fix the problem than simply replacing the standard fuse with an auto-reset fuse, but for me, it simply wasn't worth the hassle. Others will have differing opinions.

...VTX-AL
Old 05-17-2011, 12:15 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
Forest River is not saying anything. And your fuse is doing exactly what it is supposed to do. Here is the issue: When you retract your electric stabilizers, if you continue to hold the switch too long after the stabilizers have reached the end of their travel, the motor still attemps to move them. The electric motor, trying to turn against the stop, draws excessive current and pops the fuse. If the fuse didn't blow, the motor would heat up and burn out. Not good !! If you don't want to replace the standard fuse with an auto-resetting fuse, then you are going to have to remember to release the retract switch BEFORE the stabilizers reach the end of their travel.

I realize that there is probably a better way to permanently fix the problem than simply replacing the standard fuse with an auto-reset fuse, but for me, it simply wasn't worth the hassle. Others will have differing opinions.

...VTX-AL
I agree. Since there is no limit switch the auto reset circuit breaker acts as one. I believe this is a good and permanant fix.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 08:20 PM   #19

does both front and back jacks work off the same fuse ? The front stabilizer works fine but the back stopped working . I believe it is the switch it self .
geterdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:54 PM   #20

I have never had any issues, as I am simply careful with the jacks. I make sure I don't try to run them up tight, as there is no need. They will stay in whatever position you leave them.
Over the years operating all kinds of machinery, what I have witnessed as the main cause of problems, has always been operator carelessness.
Know the limitations of your equipment, and stay within those limitations. Result; no more problems.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
8315bss