Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1
Electrical

We plugged our 30 amp cord into a 220 instead of a 120, it ran the AC for about 2 minutes then tripped our main circuit. After realizing what happened we replugged into a 30amp/120 outlet. Now our convection oven/microwave is not working and our batteries are not be charged. We reset the breaker but it did not fix the problem, is there something else we should check?
__________________

__________________
luv2explore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
trudinator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2explore View Post
We plugged our 30 amp cord into a 220 instead of a 120, it ran the AC for about 2 minutes then tripped our main circuit. After realizing what happened we replugged into a 30amp/120 outlet. Now our convection oven/microwave is not working and our batteries are not be charged. We reset the breaker but it did not fix the problem, is there something else we should check?
I'm not an electrician in any way, shape or form, but I think you're looking at replacing the converter and the oven/microwave. And I'm guessing the warranty on these items will be void.
__________________

__________________
2012 Rockwood 8293RKSS
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Turbodiesel 4x4; 2012 Ford Escape 4x4. 3 very pampered cats.
Days camped: 2011: 61; 2012: 66 Days; 2013: 69;2014: 68 2015: 90 Days camped 2016: 34
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 2,381
Hello, and to the forums. Sorry for your problem, and you have plenty. Anything that runs on AC will most likely be toast, and burnt toast at that. Microwave, converter, AC, any television that was plugged in, (maybe), if the water was on electric, maybe the element, and whatever I missed. Not sure how you got it plugged in to 220 volts, since that is a dedicated RV plug only for 30 amp service, and shouldn't fit any other plug, like welder, or clothes dryer, etc.
__________________
LadyWindrider
2012 Ford F250 ext. Cab 4x4
2002 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #4
Moderators' Assistant
 
bikendan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 13,295
you at least may have burn up the converter and maybe the microwave also.
you may have done even more damage.
sounds like you may have to put in an insurance claim if other stuff has been fried.
__________________
Dan-Retired Firefighter/EMT
Shawn-Musician/Entrepreneur/Wine Expert
and Zoe the Wonder Dog(R.I.P.)
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 54
Might want to follow the thread Plugged my 30 amp into 220 VAC - help. And good luck.
__________________
RedRollingRoadblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:36 PM   #6
Moo
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 13
Are not the connections such that you can't plug 110 into 220?
__________________
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo
Are not the connections such that you can't plug 110 into 220?
The 30 amp 110v rv plug in looks almost like a 30 amp 220 plug in like a dryer / welder plug.
Most electricians think the plug should be 220 or home owners who are not electricians wire it 220v not knowing the difference.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
VinceU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2explore View Post
We plugged our 30 amp cord into a 220 instead of a 120, it ran the AC for about 2 minutes then tripped our main circuit. After realizing what happened we replugged into a 30amp/120 outlet. Now our convection oven/microwave is not working and our batteries are not be charged. We reset the breaker but it did not fix the problem, is there something else we should check?
You're not the first!
Two seconds at double voltage is eternity to electrical circuits. The wiring can handle it without problem however other things need to be checked. The outlets esp the GFCI outlet would be very suspicious. Any AC appliance plugged in would not fail unless it were on and passed that voltage. TV's set with warm up circuits (not many left without that) would probably be damaged, entertainment items with clocks 24/7 displays may have cooked. however toasters, blenders or anythng with an on/off switch not online would not see the damage. Check around, you don't want smoke on your next trip. You didn't have a brown out, you had more of a white out!
__________________
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 6
I just did the same thing. We were staying at a friends and used the 30amp adapter to plug into a regular outlet. Never knew it was 220 and not 110. Blew the radio, microwave, tv and the Gfci outlets. Exchanged the tv at walmart no problem. Calling the warranty people tomorrow for the rest. Replaced the main Gfci outlet with the test buttons and all the Gfci outlets now work.
__________________
casinojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:19 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by casinojen View Post
I just did the same thing. We were staying at a friends and used the 30amp adapter to plug into a regular outlet. Never knew it was 220 and not 110. Blew the radio, microwave, tv and the Gfci outlets. Exchanged the tv at walmart no problem. Calling the warranty people tomorrow for the rest.
happens more than you think . while I sympathize why would you call the warranty dept. ?
you should be calling your insurance adjuster .

Its not forest rivers fault you plugged into 220 .
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.