Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2015, 05:43 AM   #1

Electrical issue

I have a 2014 Wildwood Travel Trailer. We have recently moved it out of storage and have parked it by my daughter's house . I installed a 30 Amp Rv plug using 6gauge wire on it's own 30 amp breaker (single pole). This is the issue: When plugged in the battery gauge will read full until I turn lights on then it goes down quickly. I replaced the battery but still have the same problem. To my knowledge I shouldn't need the battery as long as I'm plugged in but for some reason when the battery goes down the lights and anything electrical stops working . The weird thing is when I put a meter in an AC plug I'm getting 120. Has anybody else had these problems?
bigeyes68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:03 AM   #2

There are 2 fuses that are in your Converter that when removed will tell if your Converter is Bad or your Batt is Bad! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:10 AM   #3

Thanks . I'll try that today.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:14 AM   #4
Site Team

I suspect that your converter is failing.

Have you checked all the fuses in the converter?
Does the converter charge the battery when it's discharged, or are you using a stand alone charger to charge it back up?

Since you have a meter, you can set it for DC voltage and put it on the battery with the AC cord plugged in and without it plugged in. You should read about 13 to 14 volts when plugged in and a little less without it plugged in.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:15 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes68 View Post
I have a 2014 Wildwood Travel Trailer. We have recently moved it out of storage and have parked it by my daughter's house . I installed a 30 Amp Rv plug using 6gauge wire on it's own 30 amp breaker (single pole). This is the issue: When plugged in the battery gauge will read full until I turn lights on then it goes down quickly. I replaced the battery but still have the same problem. To my knowledge I shouldn't need the battery as long as I'm plugged in but for some reason when the battery goes down the lights and anything electrical stops working . The weird thing is when I put a meter in an AC plug I'm getting 120. Has anybody else had these problems?
OK, first off you have two different electric systems, 12 volt DC and 120 volt AC.

Your microwave, television, air -conditioner, ALL outlets, and fridge on electric have to have 120 volt AC power to operate.

Your lights, fans, pumps, CO detectors, furnace, fridge on propane,, thermostats, all operate off of 12 volt DC. You can use all of the DC items when not hooked to a 120 volt power source as long as you have a good 12 volt battery. This allows you to dry camp or boondock.

Now, you have one more thing in your RV called a converter. This converter takes 120 volt AC and converts it to 12 volt DC. This way, when you are plugged into 120 volt AC, the converter will power the 12 volt DC aforementioned items so you don't run the battery down. The converter is also a battery charger, and tops the battery back off when plugged into 120 volt AC.

When you say nothing electrical works, but the outlets have power, you may be confusing some things.

Does the microwave have power, and are it's lights on? If so, that's almost a good sign you are getting correct 120 volt AC power. You said single pole breaker, so there shouldn't be a chance the electrician hooked the outlet up for 240 volt power, which does happen a lot. Are you positive that the electrician didn't wire it up for 240 even for an instance. If so, that ruins the converter. Did he hook up the hot leg and neutral wire correct?

http://www.myrv.us/Imgs/PDF/30-amp%20Service.pdf

Now, when you said you replaced the battery, Did you hook it back up correct. It's real easy to mix up the wires and hook the battery back up backwards. The converter has reverse polarity fuses that blow that protect the converter from this event. However, when these fuses blow, the converter cannot provide power to the 12 volt items or recharge the battery. The battery will still provide power to the 12 volt things, even hooked up in reverse but will not be recharged since the converter is out of action. If you are connected to the battery backwards, your may have switches that operate opposite. Your slide, or electric stabilizer switches will operate opposite of the way they normally do.

If you have a white and black wire to the battery, the white is negative and the black is positive...like in a house wiring scheme. It's this color scheme that messes people up, as they are used to black being negative as below.

if you have a red and black battery wire, then the red is positive and the black is negative, like in a vehicle.

If the battery is backwards, correct it. Then go to your electrical panel inside the RV, and look for some 30-40 amp DC fuses. These are most likely your reverse polarity fuses for the converter. Replace if necessary. Also the reverse polarity fuses can be on the face of the converter itself and not in the electrical panel.

BTW, if you use the panel monitor to check the status of the battery while hooked to 120 volt AC, it usually always shows full, as the converter is sending a charge to the battery.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 AM   #6

I'm going to talk to the electrician today. I'm leaning towards the converter being bad. I have to 40 amp fuses in my panel that are good and the breaker for the converter is not tripped. I also hear no humming by the panel box ( someone told me I should hear the converter running). I'm going to recheck all of the wiring but I'm pretty sure that's what it is . There is a 30 amp 220 breaker right above the 110 so maybe he did do that. I hope not . If so I hope the converter isn't too much money.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:11 PM   #7

Just wanted to say thankyou for all the help and advice. i installed the new power converter today and everything is working! The only exception is the microwave . So I may be replacing that. I think the fan went out on the old converter awhile back because when i hooked the new one up I heard the fan kick on and a humming which I haven't heard in quite awhile . So again thanks to all who helped.
Old 09-04-2015, 06:47 PM   #8

Awesome!!

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC s(sold)
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
2017 F150 Super Crew 3.5eb 5.5
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:57 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeyes68 View Post
Just wanted to say thankyou for all the help and advice. i installed the new power converter today and everything is working! The only exception is the microwave . So I may be replacing that. I think the fan went out on the old converter awhile back because when i hooked the new one up I heard the fan kick on and a humming which I haven't heard in quite awhile . So again thanks to all who helped.
Did you find out if the trailer was ever connected to 240 volts. With the converter and microwave both being gone, that's usually what happens when hooked to 240 volts. How about the television, as it may or may not be damaged if it was connected to 240 volts.

recent discussions of same situation

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...sue-91102.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ues-87958.html

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...rks-81750.html

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:58 PM   #10

Bad ground from battery to frame, remove, wire brush both sides ,apply inhibitor ,you'll be good for years!
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 08:40 PM   #11

He says he didn't but I'm sure he did. We had a 30 amp 220 for a pig tail for our generator for hurricane season. I'm guessing that's what happened.

Tags
electric, electrical