Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2014, 08:04 AM   #1

Electrical Management System is worth the money..

Just thought I'd relay a little story to encourage any and all to consider getting an EMS like the Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C or 50C. We recently sold our camper and have our new one on order. I removed the EMS we had installed and told the new owner that I had run it with one but had removed it to use on our new camper. His first trip out he encountered a bad ground on his connection. He figure it out when he touched the camper and it shocked him. He immediately ran and turned the breaker off and unplugged the camper. Fortunately he only fried the converter. His sister was camped next to his site and it fried pretty much everything connected to the 110 in hers. This occurred at a local lake that we have stayed at. Needless to say, the EMS would have paid for itself by stopping this single event and a camping trip wouldn't have been ruined. They are definitely worth the $250-$350 investment, IMHO.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustman_stx View Post
... They are definitely worth the $250-$350 investment, IMHO.
Completely agree. I just wish manufacturers would buy them in bulk from PI and factory install them and be done with it. Of course that would mean another manual buyers would never read .
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
Completely agree. I just wish manufacturers would buy them in bulk from PI and factory install them and be done with it. Of course that would mean another manual buyers would never read .
I concur!

TURBS
Sabre owners united!
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Absolutely agree - heck, I use my EMS-HW50C when I am hooked to shore power at my house! All it takes is one surge....

A good point was made as well: in bulk, the on-board units would probably cost a third what they do aftermarket. Seems like this would be a good selling point, and FR could easily recoup the investment with a slight increase in price.

Another mod that should be standard IMHO: power cable reels. We have always had 20 or 30 AMP cables now that we have our 5er with a 50 AMP, I begin to realize what a BEAST that thing is to schlep around!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:54 AM   #5

I am going to get a 30 Amp PI this weekend before my 1st trip. Just cant decide if i want the HW or PT. Probably going with the portable since I don't know how to install it myself and probably can't get an appt to have someone else install it in time for my trip.

Am I crazy for not going HW? I dont see many differences on the PI website but maybe i missed something.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

X2 with Dustman. The cost of the unit is less than our deductible. I've heard it said "that's why I pay insurance". Figure what will save you more, your insurance deductible + the inconvenience of the trip you are on + the loss of use of the RV while it's in for repair or a EMS unit. It's a no brainer to me. The manufacturer doesn't install them so I will, just like good tires.
PhoneDude 8289 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:30 AM   #7

Quote:
I concur too! That's something that should be optional at minimum, had I known the importance (I just never looked into it really until I sound out how wrong things can go with a 50A connection.) I'd have gotten one as part of the purchase of my rig.

They'll push the hell out of the extended warranty, but something sensible like EMS? Noooooooo

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:34 AM   #8

I agree, that is should be a manufacuture install. We pick up our new 2014 Rockwood Roo IKSS in a couple weeks and plan on instling the PI unit prior to hooking it up to my house, never mind my first camping trip. After reading all the good advise from this site, it sounds like it will be well worth it and a peice of mind as well.
J007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:42 AM   #9

Things can and do go wrong with 30 amp as well as the 20 amp 120V with or without adapters. I agree with SKnight, they push the heck out of warranties but safety items such as the EMS units are never mentioned. At the very least the dealer should have these units in stock and educate the customer of there importance. Then again the sales person would need the education, most just want to move the inventory.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:46 AM   #10

They are not going to offer the EMS, they make too much money off replacement parts and labor when you fry the electronics.....
MMattox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan2503S View Post
I am going to get a 30 Amp PI this weekend before my 1st trip. Just cant decide if i want the HW or PT. Probably going with the portable since I don't know how to install it myself and probably can't get an appt to have someone else install it in time for my trip.

Am I crazy for not going HW? I dont see many differences on the PI website but maybe i missed something.
In two words - probably not.

I took a look at the wiring in our unit and realized I am NOT a master electrician! The 50AMP shore power plug is in the back shoreside corner of our unit, and I that to the HW unit I was going to have to do some serious mods (that were far beyond my ability!)

Instead, I opted for the PT (and a good lock!) Someone also suggested a cable lock to wrap around the unit as added security
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:03 AM   #12

Quote:

I went with the hardwired version because I didn't want one more thing to lug around. I also wanted the digital readout in the camper so my wife would have something easy to read and know if she could turn on more appliances without tripping the breaker. I personally think just about anyone should be able to follow the directions and install one. If you have a pair of wire strippers and a phillips screwdriver, you're set (I think you'll need a #1 phillips and a #2, IIRC). Cut the cord coming into the camper, strip a few wires and screw them down. It is really pretty straight-forward. The main thing is to make SURE that you don't nick any wires when stripping the outer insulation and make sure you don't have any straggling wire strands not completely in the block when you screw them down. I've worked in mobile electronics for years and done some wiring, so maybe it's harder for many than it seems???
Old 04-02-2014, 11:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMattox View Post
They are not going to offer the EMS, they make too much money off replacement parts and labor when you fry the electronics.....
I could see a dealer not wanting to install for this reason, but not really the manufacturers. It would be a win-win for them. The manufacturers probably have many warranty claims on items they have to foot the bill on because of electrical issues and an EMS would monitor for and protect from them.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM   #14

I installed mine behind the power distribution panel. (ALL POWER OFF) I pulled the panel off the wall and disconnected the main feeders coming into the panel, 2 feeders each on there own 50 amp breaker, a neutral tied to the neutral bar and a ground. Connected these to the HWEMS line side, bought 3' of #6 3wire with ground and come out the other end of the EMS looping the load coils as directed. All toll 4 wires to connect X 3 different places. Mine is located just above the converter, plenty of room and didn't cut any wire. About 1 1/2 hour work, start to finish including getting wire from Home Depot. I am not an electrician.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #15

thanks for the replies. besides the separate display and better theft prevention because it is out of sight, what are the other advantages over the portable?

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:50 PM   #16

Quote:
thanks for the replies. besides the separate display and better theft prevention because it is out of sight, what are the other advantages over the portable?
Being out of the elements. Call me paranoid but I went with the portable because if anything does blow I want it as far away from our camper as possible.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trashedsurgeprotector.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	49021
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
One less thing that I have to keep up with
Old 04-03-2014, 07:55 AM   #18

Quote:

Wow!

- Randy
Old 04-03-2014, 08:59 AM   #19

Wow... Now that I see that blown out unit, how many times have people seen this on an internal one? It looks like it was hit by lightning...
J007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by J007 View Post
Wow... Now that I see that blown out unit, how many times have people seen this on an internal one? It looks like it was hit by lightning...
It looks like someone threw it in the fire.

Upon further examination- I don't see any charring on the male prongs.

Tags
electric, electrical