Old 01-17-2013, 07:06 AM   #51
White River Powersports Dealership

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeplj8 View Post
It is interesting to see how quickly you exceed the 15 amps available with just a few appliances. It sounds like 50 amp service is going to cost more than I want to spend. My original plan to have one of them shower at night. I like that plan better now.

But Miller a idea at least makes sure I have 30 amps on the right side of the box.
The simple inexpensive solution is the Coleman stove-top (gas) coffee maker. That will eliminate the 10amp draw.

Old 01-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #52

As several have mentioned - managing the power consumption is probably your wisest option. I run a separte extension cord to the pedistal when I need to power ceramic heater etc. You've paid for the power - why not use it.

There is no way I would spend in excess of $500 to convert to 50 amp, when power consumption can be managed through common sense.

my two cents!

2017 GMC SLT HD All Terrain Crew Cab (6' 6" Box) 2012 Roo 23SS
E2 Trunnion WDH (1,000 lb / 10,000 lb)
Dave Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #53

I don't think I saw anyone here mention yet that a 50Amp RV upgrade would require a 4 wire hook-up (2 hots, a Neutual & a ground.) So you'd have to pull a lot of heavy wire between your converter and the outside plug.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM   #54

If the trailer has a 55 amp converter what is the harm in using the 30 / 50 adapter?
Old 01-17-2013, 01:08 PM   #55
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnpopr View Post
If the trailer has a 55 amp converter what is the harm in using the 30 / 50 adapter?
Even tho you'd have 50 amps available your load center still will have a max of 30 amps before breakee trips.

Ps the 55 amp converter is output amps not input.

Turbs
Old 01-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #56
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Ok, from what I understand, you are using your HW on gas AND electric for faster recovery. Do you have a 6 or 10 gal HW heater? If you have a 6 gal, a more simple approach might be to move to a 10 gal HW and use on gas only in the morning. Electric problem solved. Wife and daughter happy.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #57

Thanks, my understanding of electrical things doesn't go much past pushing in the plug. I've always wondered why my trailer has a 30 amp cable and sticker on the side but the converter is 55 amp.
Old 01-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #58
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks, my understanding of electrical things doesn't go much past pushing in the plug. I've always wondered why my trailer has a 30 amp cable and sticker on the side but the converter is 55 amp.
No problem
Old 01-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #59
Site Team

Quote:
Your converter is doing as it name says, and "converting" AC voltage into DC voltage......in able to provide power to the things in your trailer that run off of DC power. Your trailer has a 30 amp 120 Volt AC cable. Your converter is capable of outputting 55 amps of 12 volt DC power.

120 volt AC is not the same as 12 volt DC.

For example (and this is just a guess), your converter might use 8 amps of AC power to output 55 amps of 12 volt DC power.

The basic function of a converter, as the name suggests, is to convert 120 volts AC electricity into 12 volts DC power.

This article may help understand it better:

http://rvservices.koa.com/rvinformat...d-amp-draw.asp

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:05 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimchaSabre View Post
I don't think I saw anyone here mention yet that a 50Amp RV upgrade would require a 4 wire hook-up (2 hots, a Neutual & a ground.) So you'd have to pull a lot of heavy wire between your converter and the outside plug.
you r correct. what i was suggesting earlier was to use only one leg of the 50 amp supply. i would upgrade the connecting cable from #10 to #6. then change the main in the trailer from 30 to 50. i would still keep the pedestal side with a 30 amp (3 prong) plug (wired 1 hot, 1 neutral, and 1 ground). that would give u 20 more amps to play with (when u plugged into a 50 at the pedestal using an adapter). the extra 20 may be all u need.

only problem i see doing this is that the breaker box may not be able to take the extra amperage...ie buss may be too small.
also once u go thru this much expense, u might as well replace the breaker box and do the full upgrade.