Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #1

Electrical outlets not working

Just bought a 2015 Salem Villa Estate 393 rlt destination trailer. We have two electrical outlets on either side of the bed bump out that do not work. There are no tripped breakers or GFI switches that need to be reset. All other outlets in the unit work fine. The dealer sent out a technician to troubleshoot the problem, but he could not find the issue. He thinks it could be a junction within the wall. The dealership is now talking about bringing the unit back to the dealer to see if they can work on it more off season. I'm not happy about having to pack up and take the unit off the blocks after spending so much time getting it set up just right. Was hoping someone might have some insight as to what the issue could be or if anyone has had a similar issue and what the resolution was. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1409065383.640191.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	439.2 KB
ID:	61472  
Bryinypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:09 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Unfortunately I don't think you have much choice.
It's too bad that it's even happened.

Wish u luck.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:11 AM   #3
Site Team

Just starting with the simple thing:

I know you stated that there are no GFCI's that need to be reset, but sometimes there are...and they get missed.

If you have a storage compartment (ie pass thru storage), see if there is a gfci outlet in it, and check it too.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Just starting with the simple thing:

I know you stated that there are no GFCI's that need to be reset, but sometimes there are...and they get missed.

If you have a storage compartment (ie pass thru storage), see if there is a gfci outlet in it, and check it too.
This got me thinking.

Normally all outlets ate controlled by one or more gfci.
Could the wire to outlet have came loose or off a gfci without it tripping?

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:32 AM   #5

You might try checking to see if you have power at the exposed wires in the back of the outlet and not just the outlet itself. (Not sure if the tech did this)

I had an outlet that supplied power to the microwave that didn't work. All GFI's were working properly. What I found was one of the wires was broken inside the outlet box.

When I pulled the outlet and removed the back cover everything appeared correct. Due to the way the wires are terminated in the outlet, I decided to remove each wire and strip some insulation off to ensure I had a good connection. The outlet is required to have the wire press into a channel cutting the insulation creating the connection. What I noticed is that the wires were not pressed in properly (seated all the way) and when I went to remove one of the wires is was sheered of at the termination point.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:22 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips. I have a couple of things that I can check this weekend. I didn't see the technician pull the outlets themselves and check them, just a side panel that the wires ran behind next to the bed.
Bryinypsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:56 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Since it's only the ones on the bump out, it's probably an issue with the line between them and the main trailer. Like others have said, first pull the plugs. Most likely one of them has the power from the main, then passes power on to the other. You need to look here to see if there is power from the main. If there is, the source of the problem is in that box. If not, then you need to work backwards. Go from that box into the panel you saw the tech remove and locate the same wire. Check for power there. If you've got power going to that wire, but not into the box with the plug, then the break is in between the two. (possible due to whatever flexing was involved with putting the bump-out out.)

If power's not even going to that wire, then you need to start opening up walls, etc.. of the trailer to trace the problem back even further. Always working along the same line to the next junction box, switch, outlet, etc... until you find power. Once you find power, the issue is at that point.
Old 08-26-2014, 04:20 PM   #8

You should check the wiring underneath the slide if not damaged.
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:04 PM   #9

That is ridiculous to move your seasonal unit back to the dealer. The best and quickest way is to simply have a licensed electrician take a look at it and fix it. I take it the tech guy took the receptacle out of the wall and checked the hot wire for power. If there was none then you have a dead wire in the wall. The next step would be to take out the breaker box and make sure that each wire is hooked up. Without the ability to trace the wire you will have to keep the wire dead in the wall and simply run a new wire to those outlets. A pretty simple job as outlets only have three wires -black, white , ground.

I hope this helps.

Vin.

2015 HW296
2006 HW256 (previous pup)
2013 Chevy Tahoe
Equalizer WDH 10000#
vinmaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical