Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 12:44 PM   #1

Electrical panel

Question: I have a 2015 Rpod 179, does the circuit/fuse panel have a cooling fan ? I used to hear a whirring fan type noise that seemed to come from it and cycle off and on when hooked up to power - now I hear the same noise but it seems to be struggling to run, and is definitely inconsistent in cycling. Is there a fan there ? If so is it a do-it-myself project to get to it and replace it ? Does it run on a fuse or breaker ? If there isn't a fan, what is that sound ?
Any feedback is appreciated !

Sally
SallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 12:53 PM   #2

More then likely what you are hearing is the cooling fan in the converter. This will vary as it supplies 12 vdc to power your Rpod.
Broadway Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 02:11 PM   #3
Site Team

If that fan is running a lot, then #1 reason is a bad battery that the converter is working overtime to try and recharge.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 03:42 PM   #4

You should replace the fan. Very cheap and a do- it - yourself project for most. If you detect a difference in noise, or time running, it's a good move. I just did this in my camper - most likely saved me money from a bigger failure.
Old 07-06-2019, 03:52 PM   #5

Could just be dust buildup too. Take cover off and clean out as needed.

If it's a WFCO converter and you're looking to spend some $$ on something, replace it with a quality Progressive Industries or similar brand. They have just the converter units that slip right into your converter/panel housing. The WFCO converters are known to be poor quality and can actually damage batteries and shorten their life. If it happens to be the fan on your converter isn't working as it should, then I'd go for a PD one. Our WFCO converter only lasted 3 seasons and killed the battery too.
Old 07-06-2019, 04:54 PM   #6
Retired Old Fart

On a 2015 model, unless you have cleaned it of dust, the fan is probably pretty well coated in dust. Pretty easy to do.

Unhook from the 110v AC power and take the negative terminal off the battery (batteries if more than one). You want no power of any type to the converter or breaker bus before you do this. Unscrew the front and it should slide forward giving you access. If it is one of the very common WFCO models, you just take some screws out and the front panel will come off. Then the converter is screwed to a plastic tray that is held in with a couple of screws at the front bottom edge. Once you take them out, the converter will slide forward and you can clean the fan and fins, etc... Just vacuum them with the brush adapter on your vacuum. You should not need to unhook any wires to do this, but if you have a different model that may change.

Here is a photo of mine with the front panel off. See the 2 screws holding in the plastic piece the converter is screwed down to (converter is the silver thing with the fan on the right side at the bottom of the photo). This is a WFCO 55 amp model.

If your fan is bad or the converter fails, Progressive Industries makes a drop in replacement that is much higher quality. Runs a little over $200 for the part if you do the work yourself (a ton of youtube videos on what's involved are out there).

dward51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
If that fan is running a lot, then #1 reason is a bad battery that the converter is working overtime to try and recharge.
This is why mine ran much too much. A new battery solved my problem after I used a hydrometer to prove battery failure.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
This is why mine ran much too much. I new battery solved my problem after I used a hydrometer to prove battery failure.

That - and if you are running a lot of 12v items. Incandescent light bulbs use a lot of current, and when many are on it can cause the heat the converter needs to be cooled of. I heard this a lot at earlier RV shows when all the lights were on. Not so much now with LED lighting.
Curt Q20

zs325RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Thanks, your replies have been very helpful - especially dward51, that picture with specific directions was the extra mile ! I'm going to take a look tomorrow and will get back with the results.

Sally
SallyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:22 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by zs325RES View Post
That - and if you are running a lot of 12v items. Incandescent light bulbs use a lot of current, and when many are on it can cause the heat the converter needs to be cooled of. I heard this a lot at earlier RV shows when all the lights were on. Not so much now with LED lighting.
Yup. The lights in my living area used to be incandescent and pulled 17 to 18 amps on a 20 amp circuit. A switch to LEDs dropped it to just a few amps. I forgot the exact amount.

2012 Cedar Creek 36CKTS Touring Edition
2015 Ford F-350 CC DRW Lariat
Joe_GA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical