Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-01-2014, 10:33 PM   #1
CJM

Electrical panel cover

Hi guys, I have a 2012, 35bhq. My dog was waiting to go for a walk by the main door. Her tail hit my electrical panel cover and now it won't stay closed. The latch assembly that would normally hold it closed, then press the cover again and it pops out, does not work. Will not hold Door closed. Tried playing with it, but seems to not be functioning any more. Any body have any suggestions? Can just the door cover be replaced?

Thanks guys
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Try taping it shut? It'll at least get you through the rest of your trip.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:38 PM   #3
CJM

Ua, that's what I did. Just looking for a propper fix for it. Thanks for responding though. Appreciate it.
CJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 10:51 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, permanent fix. Well, I'd normally reserve that one for the dealer. Unless yours is out of warranty.

Let's see, you've got a few options:

1) Get dealer to fix it
2) Wait until next year's Goshen Rally, then get FR to fix it.
3) Mod up a fix for it
4) Fix it using genuine parts

Let's start with #4. First, you'll need to determine what's broken. Is it the cover or the latch? If it's like mine, the cover has a little prong that sticks into a spring loaded receiver on the box. This is what holds it. If the prong is broken, then you can replace the door. If the spring loaded receiver is what's broken, you'll need to replace that. I don't have my trailer here so I can't look to see how much of the assembly needs to be replaced for that.

For option #3, you can get creative. Pretty much any latch you can get at a hardware store will hold the door shut. The least noticeable would probably be the kind that's a steel plate and a magnet, but some people are leery of using magnets near electricity. A simple slide bolt would also work, but that'd be on the outside of the door. A camlock might work, depending on how much room you have to work with. Just head on down to the drawer pull, hinges, etc... section of your local hardware store and see what they've got.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:00 PM   #5

If the door itself is in good shape, why not just pick up one of those $1 velcro kits. Just peel and stick at the top.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover, electric, electrical