Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2013, 11:10 AM   #1

Electrical power question

I just bought a new 26' travel trailer and this is the first one I ever owned. I have a question about running appliances when you are not where electricity is available or don't have a generator running. We don't have electricity at the deer lease and we don't run the generator at night while folks are sleeping but I like to have a box fan running to drown out all the snoring. I know the trailer is a 12volt system and the fan is a 110AC system. There are no 12volt plugs in this trailer so I can't get a 12volt fan that plugs into one. What do y'all recommend I do in this situation? Portable battery powered fan? 110AC to 12 volt convertor plugged into the wall then use a 12volt fan? Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Josh7099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:15 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

A 110 AC to 12 volt converter won't work of course because without a generator there is no 110 AC available.

I would go with a battery powered one. If you can find a 12 volt box fan, it would be pretty easy to run a (properly fused) wire pair from your on board battery to where you want to locate the fan.

RoadPro Heavy Duty Metal 12-Volt Fan RP-1179
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh7099 View Post
I just bought a new 26' travel trailer and this is the first one I ever owned. I have a question about running appliances when you are not where electricity is available or don't have a generator running. We don't have electricity at the deer lease and we don't run the generator at night while folks are sleeping but I like to have a box fan running to drown out all the snoring. I know the trailer is a 12volt system and the fan is a 110AC system. There are no 12volt plugs in this trailer so I can't get a 12volt fan that plugs into one. What do y'all recommend I do in this situation? Portable battery powered fan? 110AC to 12 volt convertor plugged into the wall then use a 12volt fan? Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
Quick terminology tutorial:

A converter changes 120 volt AC power into 12 volt DC power. You Rv has one of these, and when you are plugged into a 120 volt source of AC power, the converter uses some of this and converts it over to 12 volt DC power for your lights, furnace, propane detector, fridge on propane. etc.

An inverter changes 12 volt DC (think battery power) over to 120 volt AC power. The inverter let's you use the battery to power 120 volt stuff. If you have ever seen one of those things you plug into your cigarette lighter in you car, then let's you plug a regular household 120 volt plug into it....that's an inverter. They make inverters on a much larger scale that you can wire direct to your battery.....but it does suck some power from the battery.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
A 110 AC to 12 volt converter won't work of course because without a generator there is no 110 AC available.

I would go with a battery powered one. If you can find a 12 volt box fan, it would be pretty easy to run a (properly fused) wire pair from your on board battery to where you want to locate the fan.

RoadPro Heavy Duty Metal 12-Volt Fan RP-1179
What Herk says plus ear plugs........
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:

A 12v fan will not take care of this 'Noise'.....

This is 'deer camp'....

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
110AC to 12 volt convertor plugged into the wall then use a 12volt fan? Let me hear your thoughts. Thanks.
This option can't work because if you have no 120 volt shore power (ie the generator), then the electrical plugs won't have power..........as well as you won't have television, air conditioner, or use of a microwave.

With no source of 120 volt shore power....You can do as Herk suggested, and get a battery powered fan.............direct wire a 12 volt fan.........or connect an inverter to the battery and use a 120 volt fan.

What all 12 volt things are you planning running off of the batteries at night, with no generator?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
This option can't work because if you have no 120 volt shore power (ie the generator), then the electrical plugs won't have power..........as well as you won't have television, air conditioner, or use of a microwave.

With no source of 120 volt shore power....You can do as Herk agreed with, and get a battery powered fan.............direct wire a 12 volt fan.........or connect an inverter to the battery and use a 120 volt fan.

What all 12 volt things are you planning running off of the batteries at night, with no generator?
Fan and lights would be the only thing. I appreciate all the help so far.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Fan and lights would be the only thing. I appreciate all the help so far.

The reason I ask is, you only have so much battery power (which depends on the type/size of the RV battery/batteries. I understand you can crank up the generator during the day to recharge the battery/batteries.

You are not going to be running the furnace and or fridge? Even though these appliances use propane, they still need battery power too.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
The reason I ask is, you only have so much battery power (which depends on the type/size of the RV battery/batteries. I understand you can crank up the generator during the day to recharge the battery/batteries.

You are not going to be running the furnace and or fridge? Even though these appliances use propane, they still need battery power too.
We will be using coolers for the most part to save on electricity. We will use the heater when needed. I will be hooking up a solar panel when I get it to its spot to help out.
Old 08-28-2013, 12:24 PM   #10
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
We will be using coolers for the most part to save on electricity. We will use the heater when needed. I will be hooking up a solar panel when I get it to its spot to help out.

Using the on board heater and the fan will most likely kill a fully charged single OEM battery before daylight. The cold or the snoring will most likely get you up before dawn and you can be in your stand before your buddies.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:33 PM   #11
Denver, CO

Install a 12 plug in the camper somewhere and use a 12volt fan. THe endless breeze are good, and HERC's option to.

They draw about 2-3 amps so will use 15 or so amps in 8 hours, The furnace will use 4 or more when running, so you may consume as much 35-0 amps overnight with these two sources. A stock battery will get pretty depleted, unless you are carefull and monitor closely.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #12

Thanks for all the info. It's helped out a bunch.

Tags
electric, electrical, power