Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2016, 07:28 PM   #1

Electrical problem

I have a sunseeker 2900 class c rv. While boondocking this weekend I developed an electrical problem.

The first indication I had a problem was when the "check" light was illuminated on the fridge. While troubleshooting that I realized I had no DC voltage.

I checked on the "info center" and the battery LED was at zero. I tried to start the generator, but it would not start, so I started the engine on the RV. After about 2 minutes I was then able to start the generator and I let it run for about an hour but according to the "info center" readout that didn't charge the battery level...???....so I turned off the generator and started the truck again. After about 2 minutes (again) I could here what sounded like a relay clicking and the "info center" read full voltage and everything worked ok...bright lights, fridge, heat etc. ... but this only lasted for 3 or 4 hours and each time I could start the engine, wait 2 minutes and the batteries would read and act is if they were full....I have two batteries and whatever factory installed inverter/charger...we did spend one night plugged in and everything was perfect.

Thanks in advance for any help!!!

T

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:18 AM   #2

My gut says that you just need new batteries on the RV side. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the engine battery will get the gennie started as a back up in case the RV batteries die, and the truck engine will charge the RV batteries too. So if your RV batteries are on their way out, you will get charge stored but it runs out real fast specially under load. Put a volt meter on the batteries to confirm 13.5 vdc +/- with no load, then start turning 12v items on, see how much the volts drop.
fishingpolesling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 08:29 AM   #3

It does sort of sound like the coach batteries may need to be looked at. They can read full charge, but when put under load fail very fast. disconnect each and have a load test done that will tell you what is going on with them.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 01:02 PM   #4

Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
bigt1739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #5
Sunseeker 3010DS

They will read full charge with the gen or truck running. Check your cargo hold lights they will drain your batteries in 3 or 4 hours especially if you are boon docking and are not able to get a good long charge on them. If you find lights on you will need to run the gen for about 4 hrs to get a good charge back in them. Check water in cells as well.

Bin there done that
slamac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical