Old 05-27-2014, 04:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evereddie View Post
Don't know A frames but do yu have a battery disconnect switch? A little silver knob you push or pull. Probably around the fuse panel. But again, there may not be such a thing on your A frame.
Check the large red feeder to the power panel, remove cover first. Locate and check the white main ground connected to frame near battery. One of the two maybe corroded and getting hot with use, then stop all current flow. Doubtful the converter does this because battery would never charge.

Old 05-27-2014, 04:27 PM   #12
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Check the large red feeder to the power panel, remove cover first. Locate and check the white main ground connected to frame near battery. One of the two maybe corroded and getting hot with use, then stop all current flow. Doubtful the converter does this because battery would never charge.
You are absolutely correct. I always seem to forget the electrons have to come from somewhere. The grounds are just as important as the "getting there"

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:45 PM   #13

i would expect the battery is done. a previous poster suggested you unplug the trailer, check it with a multimeter then plug it in .. and recheck .. this will tell you if the converter is functioning properly.
also when plugged in .. put your ear to the converter area .. and check to see if you can hear a humm ...

d-mo
Old 05-27-2014, 05:32 PM   #14
Moderators' Assistant

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post
It also of course charges off of my hitch from my SUV.
don't assume this is occurring, it needs to be tested.
many vehicles, especially SUV's, don't have the fuse operative that allows for the vehicle charging.
and at best, your SUV will only trickle charge the battery and if it wasn't plugged in before you hooked it up the vehicle, the battery would be too low for the vehicle to full recharge it.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH and Prodigy BC
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:23 AM   #15

I purchased my multimeter last night and will get the camper out of storage this weekend to start looking over the things you all have mentioned. Thank you for the tips.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:19 AM   #16
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Well first of all with all the great idea's it could be overwhelming to the OP on which one to do first or what to check.

1) make sure battery is fully charged and ready to go before any testing.

2) install battery "double check that the correct cable is on the correct post"

2a) depending on your converter make and model your converter has reverse polarity protection via fuses that may "be hidden behind the panel cover" and not in plain sight.

2b) these fuses can and will blow if the positive and negative cables have been reversed during battery installation.

3) plug camper into shore power.

4) check voltage at battery "should be between 13 - 14 + volts".

4a) if desired voltage is present then all is well.

5) if voltage is less than 13 volts then you need to get the appropriate diagnostic trouble shooting manual online for your make and model of converter.

6) if after trouble shooting converter via the online manual and you find converter output at the converter is not acceptable after there diagnostic flow chart then the converter will need replacement.

7) if you find that the converter is putting out acceptable voltage at the converter then you have an issue somewhere between the converter and the battery.

8) possibilities include.
8a) battery cut off switch.
8b) bad circuit breaker "resetable or non resetable".
8c) bad ground.
8d) bad positive connection.

Hope this helps.

TURBS

"Sabre owners united"
Old 06-01-2014, 09:33 PM   #17

Update

Ok--so I got the camper out of storage this weekend and the following tests out.

The battery when fully charged is showing a reading of around 13.5

When I plugged in the shore power there was no boost to this number.

I then unhooked the battery and tested all fuses both with a fuse tester and the multimeter and none are blown and all seem to be working. The camper is getting power through the cord.

What is next to test?

Both battery and converter seem to be working but for some reason the converter is not charging the battery.

I leave for my trip Wednesday! Helpz!
Old 06-01-2014, 10:03 PM   #18
Site Team - Lou

So, the battery is reading 13.5 volts? Sounds like it is getting charged to me.
That is a surface charge left over from the charger being in "Absorption" mode 13.6 volts +

Once it is fully charged, it will drop into "Float" a trickle charge of 13.2 volts until the battery's capacity drops from use to about 80% of capacity when it will shift back into Absorption and the voltage will then return to 13.6 VDC.

FYI - to fully charge a battery can take over to 52 hours on shore power depending on the actual state of charge when you plug it in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WFCO CHarging Graph.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	54090  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlbuffalo1 View Post

The battery when fully charged is showing a reading of around 13.5

What is next to test?

Both battery and converter seem to be working but for some reason the converter is not charging the battery.

I leave for my trip Wednesday! Helpz!
Did you first charge the battery on a seperate charger or did the camper's converter charge it to 13.5 volts?

Either way, it does sound like your converter is working properly. So if you are rapidly losing charge, I would suspect maybe the battery is bad after-all. Herk mentioned surface charge in his post above. I saw this in my last battery - I would put it on the charger and it would go from dead (11.8 volts) to 100% - 13.5 volts in about 30 minutes. Then I put it on the camper, and would very quickly go dead. That surface charge is just a false reading in the sense that the battery isn't really absorbing and storing any significant amount of charge. You are just getting enough charge on the surface of those lead plates to get a reading that shows charged. Sometimes when a battery gets to this state, a high end charger with a desulfonate cycle can reverse this process, but frequently, the battery is no longer able to absorb any significant charge.

Not sure what the age / conditin of your battery is, but if I was up against a trip in a couple days and wanted to get this resolved, I would probably replace the battery if everything else checked out OK. If you get a good deep cycle battery and make sure its always disconnected when in storage, it should last you several years.

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #20

I would start by listening and see if I could hear the fan running on the converter. if not, I would check the breakers (not fuses yet). then I would make sure the converter is still plugged into an outlet.
I'm not clear if u got a charge from the converter before the trip or from the suv on the way. the breakers I would individually turn them off then back on (sometimes a tripped breaker is hard to spot).
if that is all good, I would proceed with what the previously posters said.

Tags
battery, converter, electric, electrical