Originally Posted by mac0822
We are a seasonal in a 2012 Silverback 35QB4. We are plugged in and have been for 5 months.
Recently, our lights started dimming and I can hear the power converter (if that's what it's called) starting up and turning off, over and over...all day long. It seems like there's not enough juice to go around.
The battery is fairly new. I assume it's something else? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks.
HowDy mac0822, it sounds like your converter may be giving up the ghost.
The converter is what takes 120 volt AC electricity and converts it to 12 volt DC. The converter also is what recharges your battery when you are hooked up to 120 volt AC.
Your 12 volt DC items in your RV include your lights, pumps, fans, slides, thermostats, fridge on propane or 12 volt, CO detectors, etc.
If the converter is failing, then it can't provide power to these things mentioned above, but they will work off of your 12 volt battery instead. However, since the converter is also the battery charger, then the battery will deplete since it's powering all these items.
It sounds like the converter is partially working, then stopping, working some more, stopping. It may be having problems. It's fairly common to replace them.
Here is more basic info:
Basic RV Electricity - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
RV Converters and Amp Draw - RV Information (RV Maintenance)
I have some more posts in other threads with links on how to test the converter. Let me find those and will put them in another subsequent post.