Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

electrical problems, dead battery

I started this thread in the wrong place, sorry about that. I have a 2006 wolf pack toy hauler. I recently went to move the camper, hooked it all up one evening to move in the morning and when I went to the truck ( 2007 RAM 3500 diesel dually) both of its batteries were dead. As was the camper battery. I have had the truck sit for a week a time connected to the trailer and not had this problem. I need a schematic and Forest River tells me there is not one available and suggests I take it to my dealer. This is not rocket science, simple 12v and 120v system connected by some black box. When I plug into 120V power everything works fine, when I disconnect the 120V power nothing works. I disconnected the battery and put it on a charger, the battery is holding a charge but I ran out of time to see what happens when I re-connect it. Anybody got a wiring schematic? Suggestions? Questions?

Thanks
Carl
cmstenquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:05 PM   #2
Site Team

Wiring schematics don't exist for the RV.

The trailer should be plugged into shore power to keep the battery charged, not the truck.
Or use the battery disconnect switch so the trailer's parasitic power drains don't empty the battery.
Some trucks don't have a block device to prevent the trailer from draining the truck's batteries.
Don't know if your truck is in that group.

You should also check the converter. And have the triler battery checked with a hydrometer after it's recharged.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM   #3

When I had my trailer and stored it I disconnected my batteries just incase their was something left on.
If the batteries are good and are charging well on shore power I would say find yourself a battery disconnect switch or find out what you left on.

A test is when not on shore power lifting the positive lead off the battery. If you get a slight spark you have something on inside.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:30 PM   #4

More details on the situation. Prior to connecting to the truck, the trailer had been on shore power for more than two weeks. Normally when parked and not in use the battery disconnect switch is off. So I connected the truck and moved the trailer out to the driveway. More history on the unit, last winter we went to Florida and stayed at a friends house in NC for three days.
We had to park on the road in front of their house. Ran the camper on the battery for three days, still plugged into the truck, did not drain the truck or the camper batteries to the point of useless. So something has changed and I need to find out what it is. I cannot believe a schematic is not available, I guess if I have to I will create my own so the next time I have an electrical problem I will have a road map to quickly find the problem. I cannot imagine what a PITA this would be if I were on the road.
Thanks
Carl
cmstenquist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:41 PM   #5

I had two 12V on my last trailer and they showed no signs of anything being wrong. I was boondocking last fall and the trailer had only been being used sparingly (refrigerator control, CO detector, and limited LED light usage along with bumping the water pump a few times) for about 24 hours. That night it got cold and I went to turn on the furnace. Dead in minutes. I'd normally gotten around three days easily before. Found out that one battery had a dead cell and it killed both batteries once it got pulled off of full charge. You may have a similar issue...battery will hold charge, just not handle any kind of load for long.
Old 09-25-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

How old are the batteries?
Have you ever considered taking them out and having them load tested for condition at your local auto store?
Seems you believe the charging system is a problem and not the batteries.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:53 PM   #7

And, along those lines, I had mine tested at Wally World and their tester had a "deep cycle" mode that put a different load on them than it would for a starting battery. You'll get a more accurate result if you find someone with something similar.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:21 AM   #8

Get one of these and you will figure out where your battery drain it is in a heartbeat
https://youtu.be/ZWshTRjsqHY

Tags
battery, electric, electrical