Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 PM   #1

Electrical Question

I have a 2015 Rockwood 2703ws with 30amp service. When we went camping on our first trip, I managed to trip the main breaker out at pole. Short of having to turn one device off to turn another device on, running an extension cord through the window or putting the appliance outside (small ice maker and Keurig) what can I do? My thoughts are running along the lines of plugging into the 50amp service with a specialized pigtail that decreases it from 230volts to 115volts but keeping at 50amps realizing that this would have no protection from the pole to main breaker within the camper. Keep in mind that the higher usage isn't constant and only seems to it during those couple of minutes when those two devices are added into the mix of (A/C or electric fireplace, electric water heater, light, etc). Yes, I did finish the weekend remembering, but my 10yr old grandson will not remember to turn off the ice maker to make hot chocolate.
DavinaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:37 PM   #2

Those 2 items alone will not trip the main breaker, now if AC and water heater or micro wave was running it would trip; You just have to lean power management
Days camped 2015=42 2014=48 2013=41 2012=47 2011=18
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

That 50 amps service is not 230 volts, just 115 on each of 2 legs. Still no more amperage on the one leg your trailer is wired for, actually a little less. You could have your trailer rewired to take advantage of 50 amp service. Then you would have to plug into 50 amp service all the time. The extension cord is not a crazy idea.

You can help lighten the load by running refrigerator on propane and the water heater too.

2013:31 / 2014:51 / 2015:58 / 2016:37 / 2017:46
2018:16
Total 239
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #4

30 amps would be at the limit if you run any two of those devices at the same time.

A couple ideas

1) Check your voltage at any of your outlets, if its below 100 - 105, this could be pushing you over the limit. You should be seeing 115 - 120. When the voltage goes down, the current draw goes up.

2) Check your plug on the pedestal - does it fell warm. A bad connection on the pedestal will cause a voltage drop and the heat your felling on the plug.

I carry a 50-30 adapter with me. When I plug into the 30 amp connector on the pedestal, if it fells lose, I use the adapter and plug into the 50. These are generally in better shape and a better connection.
Old 07-27-2015, 06:44 AM   #5

make sure your connections to power both at the pole and at the camper are clean... dirty and corroded connections not only can cause this problem but are dangerous and will melt your plug and possibly cause a fire...

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeOxit-Cl...9SYJG3KHBXTTX2

purchase a can of this spray which is a superior formula to clean connectors and keep them clean and get full power from the electrical pedestal

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #6

Nothing felt warm when it happened (furion cord coming into camper, connection at pole, outlet in kitchen area, fuse panel). Yes you are correct, those were not the only two devices running. I know for a fact the a/c was on, good chance the water heater was on since i had recently used hot water in last 10 minutes, my laptop was up and running since I was working while on vacation, the ice maker had been running all running all night doing its cycle thing (melt ice into water if not used then make more ice). Then I decided I needed iced coffee, which was going fine until ice maker compressor kicked in tripping main breaker at pole.
DavinaRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 07:18 PM   #7

I think a 50-30 adapter could help, assuming the campground 30a breaker is possibly warn. Your breaker panel main breaker should still protect you. Either way, your over available amps and will most likely trip the camper breaker then. I used to slide a 20 a extension cord thru the slide out seal to plug a high amp draw item into.
jtstromsburg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical