Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #21
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 16
your fridge issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhillphoto View Post
2nd time out. My surge protector shows our 30amp is using reverse polarity. Is this okay and should everything run normal? If not, what to do? I don't know enough about electricity.

I ask because everything is running but our fridge is warm now. It was cold in storage and we only drove 40 minutes to campground. The propane was on but it's having a hell of a time trying to get cold again. Freezer is struggling to get cold but fridge is nowhere near cold.

Thoughts? Thanks.
You mentioned you leave the fridge on all the time, these fridges are not like a house fridge. RV fridges should be turned off, and defrosted something like every
30 or so days. It will explain this in the manual for the fridge.
__________________

__________________
furtrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #22
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by donhillphoto View Post
2nd time out. My surge protector shows our 30amp is using reverse polarity. Is this okay and should everything run normal? If not, what to do? I don't know enough about electricity.

I ask because everything is running but our fridge is warm now. It was cold in storage and we only drove 40 minutes to campground. The propane was on but it's having a hell of a time trying to get cold again. Freezer is struggling to get cold but fridge is nowhere near cold.

Thoughts? Thanks.
Absolutely no reverse polarity can wreck havoc on computer parts and burn ou LED lights. A lot of campgrounds will hire help with very limited electrical experience and don't know the importance of wiring these pedastes correctly. I bought a 30 amp plug in and an electrical circuit tester fast easy way to check the wiring whole thing cost about $8.00.
__________________

__________________
Myrle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,702
I have a Norcold fridge and it cools the freezer first, sends nothing to the fridge until the freezer is cold.


2010 F250 5.4L 3.73
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equal-i-zer 4pt 12K
__________________

2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
EQUALIZER E4 1200/12000
lbrjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 02:21 PM   #24
Member
 
donhillphoto's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by furtrader View Post
You mentioned you leave the fridge on all the time, these fridges are not like a house fridge. RV fridges should be turned off, and defrosted something like every
30 or so days. It will explain this in the manual for the fridge.
Hmm... different than what I was told. Need to check the manual again. I was instructed to keep it going all the time because it's electric/propane. Explanation I was given was that when run on propane, the gas plays havoc somehow with the metal in the back when defrosting and corrodes over time. I'm a relative newbie, so I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just going with what I've been told. But, that person could be wrong.

Sigh... so many things to consider!

Thanks for the help all. Our fridge ended up getting cold again hours later. The guys assured us reverse polarity wasn't the case but my surge protector never deviated. So, I don't know what to believe. So far, I've not noticed any obvious damage. Just hope they were right and my protector was wrong. Then might need to protector.
__________________
2014 Forest River Wildwood X-Lite 621BHXL
2015 Ram 1500 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT, 3.92 Rear Axle Ratio
About Me: Prof. Web/UI/UX Designer, Prof. Photographer, traveler, writer, genealogist, husband & daddy of 2 & 5 y/o daughters
Follow my blog: americanbluestreak.com
donhillphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
fonzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Eastern Ontario
Posts: 3,237
Most likely your protector is right, you will know when you try another pedestal either there or another campsite......
__________________
Fonzie
2011 Rockwood 8319SS with ProPride 3P hitch/GoodYear Marathons/TST TPMS 507
2008 F250 Lariat CC SB 6.8L V10 4.10 axle ratio (NITTO TERRA GRAPLER G2 LT275/65R20E)
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2011(21) 2012(36) 2013 (17) 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:14 AM   #26
SCHYBOLT
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: BUDA, TEXAS
Posts: 19
Forgive my electrical ignorance but doesn't "AC" mean "alternating current"? Does that
Not mean the hot and neutral are constantly reversing?
__________________
schybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:14 PM   #27
Junior Member
 
msbilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 5
New Forest River Trailer, New TRC Analyzer 4 days later Reverse Polarity

Very afraid.....please Help.
__________________
msbilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:33 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by schybolt View Post
Forgive my electrical ignorance but doesn't "AC" mean "alternating current"? Does that
Not mean the hot and neutral are constantly reversing?
Actually, no. There is still a hot wire and a neutral or return.
__________________
There are 10 types of people in the world.
Those that know binary, and those that don't.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 11:52 PM   #29
Engineer of Crazy Train
 
ChooChooMan74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Tiverton, RI
Posts: 1,559
Quote:
Originally Posted by schybolt View Post
Forgive my electrical ignorance but doesn't "AC" mean "alternating current"? Does that
Not mean the hot and neutral are constantly reversing?
Hot and neutral are named that for a reason. Properly wired circuit, you touch a hot and you are grounded, you get zapped. You touch a neutral, you are fine. Neutral and ground have the same electrical potential, because at transformer, neutral connects to ground (per my google electrical license).

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
__________________
TV - 2015 Ram Truck EcoDiesel
TV - 2006 Jeep Liberty Turbo Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
TT - 2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 06:41 AM   #30
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
Hot and neutral are named that for a reason. Properly wired circuit, you touch a hot and you are grounded, you get zapped. You touch a neutral, you are fine. Neutral and ground have the same electrical potential, because at transformer, neutral connects to ground (per my google electrical license).

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk.
The "Hot" wire is also known as the "Line", and it is indeed energized with 120 volts AC (in the USA). The Neutral wire is "bonded" to the earth ground rod(s) at the incoming service panel (from the power company), so it should always have a voltage potential very close to earth (maybe 1 or 2 volts). The AC thing is Alternating Current, so 120 times a second the voltage between Hot and Neutral wire changes from a positive swing to a negative swing. Since a full cycle is both a positive and negative swing, that's 60 cylces per second, also known as Hertz or Hz.

All modern electrical appliances (and your RV) should have the incoming Neutral wire isolated from the chassis. The Chassis is connected (bonded) to the incoming Ground wire in the power cord, officially known as the EGC (Equipment Grounding Conductor), and also know as the Safety Ground.

Getting the Hot and Neutral wires swapped in your extension cord is known as a swapped "Polarity", even though that's a poor choice of words which causes much confusion. That's because the AC voltage itself reverses polarity 120 times a second (see above). However, because the incoming wires are known as "poles", and electricians definition of "polarity" where the Hot (black) and Neutral (white) wires are reversed is different from an engineer's definition of "polarity" where the Voltage on those wires reverses itself 60 times a second from the AC current itself.

Hope this helps clarify how this works.

Mike Sokol
__________________

__________________
jmsokol is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electric, electrical

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 AM.