Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-18-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Electrical Repair- Pop Up Camper

I purchased the Freedom 1600 at the recommendation of a colleague. The trailer has been to White Horse (2x), Tofino, Cochrane and Barr Harbour.
I noted a problem with the DC with no ceiling light. My son, a electrician checked to find power on the line. Changed the bulb with no change.
I decided to upgrade the AC (110 Volt ) receptacles as I installed a fridge and added a couple of outlets. I added another Square D breaker to the electrical box.
NO DC , pump, so a I purchased a small AC to DC power supply of 6 amps with a fuse. Slept the night and came out in the morning to find NO Power. I checked the inline to find that we had power to the electrical breaker panel. I unplugged the electrical and opened the breaker panel.
I checked each white wire to make certain they were tight and correct.
I checked the bare copper and it looked good.
I then removed the two Square D breakers from the Buzz bar. I then took my multi meter and checked for continuity from where the black wire was affixed to the aluminum buzz bar. There was NO Continuity. I then removed the two Phillips screws that held the buzz bar. It was then that I realised the buzz bar was actually two pieces of aluminum, one on top of the other. Where the two bars touch there was a layer of oxide. I cleaned the oxide off and reassembled. I again electrified the trailer and to my astonishment, every thing work, all the DC and all the AC.

Moral of the story, if you are having electrical problems, your mains box could have a two piece aluminum buzz bar. Disassemble and clean the contact. Ironically in 1977, my brother took Ontario Hydro through hearings on aluminum wiring in the homes. They lost but an aluminum wiring help line was set up and there after, aluminum wiring was not used in homes.
George Heighington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #2

It is also a good idea to put some grease or noalox anti-corrosion compound on those to keep it from happening again!
Lynkage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
camper, electric, electrical, pop up, repair