Originally Posted by stuckinchina
Sorry about the lack of information in my earlier post. I'll do my best to explain what I'm finding. .
I shortened your response but it explained your problem much better. I think I now understand. Since the fuse does not blow, I can safely assume that either you do not have a true "dead short" or the fuse is highly over rated (dangerous situation). A few more questions:
1. How are you reading the short? Ohmeter? If so what range is it set to when you read the short? Normally you would look for a dead short in the RX1 mode. If you are reading through a light bulb, a transformer, or some diodes in the RX1000 or above, you will see what appears to be a short but is really just low ohms (a light bulb can be ~300 ohms, same for a transformer).
2. Is this a new to you unit or has this issue started since you have owned the unit? My battery will draw down after 3-4 days because the radio has a memory and standby mode, tank sensors and the propane monitor are always on whenever the battery is connected.
3. If the unit has just started doing this, have you added anything? Screwed anything to the walls?
4. Is the installed fuse the correct rating for the circuit?
If none of the above helps, then you must have a parasitic load from somewhere (and it may not be in the circuit you suspect). As another suggested, you will need to remove the loads powered on this circuit one at a time to determine the one that is causing the problem.
Electrical problems can be a real bear to resolve but it is satisfying when you finally figure it out (based on my 24 years as an Navy aircraft electronics tech)!