Old 09-01-2016, 11:03 PM   #1

Electrical shutdown

Today my 2016 Forest River 29' Hyperlite electrically shut down, no A/C, no 110v, no 12vdc lighting, nothing. Breakers are all good, 12v fuses all good, 110vac is good from the 30amp breaker at the house. The only item that works is the electric tongue jack and oh by the way, the battery is at 13vdc. Also the master shut off in the bedroom seems to be good, switched it off and on, no change.

Old 09-01-2016, 11:16 PM   #2

You say shut down. Does that mean it was working and then everything went off? A/C stopped, no microwave? It's like you have 2 problems at the same time. Track the wire from your battery at the tongue and you will probably find a resettable breaker for the 12v feed to your trailer.

Check your main breaker in your fuse panel. Turn it completely off then back on. It is just strange that you lost both at the same time.

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:27 PM   #3
Head Rambler

Sounds like maybe you had a surge and it took out the shore power and the main breaker/fuse near the battery as Dalford eluded to.

It could have also burnt a wire or connection in the shore power line.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:09 PM   #4

Thanks fellows. Tomorrow the rain will be letting up here in Florida and I will jump on this. A surge is the only thing at the moment that makes sense for what has happened. Time to ohm out the shore power and check the 12v reset able breaker.
Old 09-03-2016, 08:42 PM   #5

Found 120vac trouble. The hot lead at the service plug on the side of the trailer had never been screwed tight, got hot melted a bit then went open, thank God no fire! Replaced entry plug and now that part is good.
12vdc trouble.....not ever testing the 12vac independently away from shore power I assumed it was good, it was not. I did some 12vdc testing today and found that there are 2 hots leaving the battery and eventually entering the front of the trailer. I assume one goes to the vacant generator chamber and the second one goes to the master on/off switch in the bedroom. These hot leads are good entering the trailer but at the master in the bedroom.....dead.
I think tomorrow I will check the generator panel in the bedroom and see if one of the hots landed there!
Old 09-05-2016, 11:33 AM   #6
Head Rambler

Thanks for letting us know what the problem with the shore power was and that you got it fixed.

As for the 12 volt side. There should be a 'ShortStop' (12 volt circuit breaker) near the battery, probably inside the frame. Sometimes they can be pretty well hidden and hard to find. Find it and you'll probably find your problem.
Old 09-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #7

Thanks Bama it was a fuse on the tongue area, we are good the go now!
Old 09-06-2016, 02:22 PM   #8
Head Rambler

Thanks for letting us know what you found. I'm glad the fix was easy.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:13 PM   #9

I was camping last week when Ac power went off at 2 in the morning-dc was fine. Checked the breaker on mh and then breaker at shore power tower- all ok. After some head scratching and Internet searching I decided to take a look behind the fuse/breaker cover. Sure enough the power lead had come loose and the insulation actually burned away. The set screw was so loose I don't know how it ever made a connection. Luckily no fire...cut back wire and reconnected and power came back up...something else to check periodically.

Tags
electric, electrical