Old 08-16-2016, 01:19 AM   #1

Electrical switch is warm

There is a switch just inside the door that turns on three lights through the kitchen area. The lights can be controlled also at the lights themselves. After the lights are on for a bit, the switch gets warm to the touch. I took off the cover, removed the screws, and checked that everything was tight. It is a spade connector on a simple switch.

Maybe I should switch to LED bulbs? The switch gets warm, but nowhere near hot.

mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 02:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlangdn View Post
There is a switch just inside the door that turns on three lights through the kitchen area. The lights can be controlled also at the lights themselves. After the lights are on for a bit, the switch gets warm to the touch. I took off the cover, removed the screws, and checked that everything was tight. It is a spade connector on a simple switch.

Maybe I should switch to LED bulbs? The switch gets warm, but nowhere near hot.
Led lights will help, They are probably maxed out amp wise for the switch. Or the switch itself is bad. My trailer I have 1 switch for each light with some having 2 bulbs in it and it doesn't get hot or warm even.

Rockwood #8289 WS 2012
F250 6.0 / Husky 16k
With 4 point leveling system
Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:21 AM   #3
Head Rambler

A 921 incandescent lamp draws 1.4 amps, so six of them (2 per fixture) would draw 8.4 amps. A typical SPST mini rocker switch like used in the panels are rated for 10 amps at 14 volts DC. So you're close to the max rating for the switch. It doesn't surprise me that it gets a little warm.

Going to LED lamps would help load wise. Six equivalent LED's would draw about 2.4 amps, or about the amps of the incandescent lamps.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:44 AM   #4

Thanks! That will help. I am looking on Amazon for the LED equivalent.
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #5
Head Rambler

Since you have a great choice of color temp with LEDs you want to be aware of the color.

If you like the yellow hue of the incandescent lamps you'll want to order something in the 2500K to 2700K. 5000K is white (Daylight) and above 5000K is going to be bluish in color. Between 3000 and 5000 ranges from yellowish to whiteish.

A lot of people prefer the yellow color of incandescents, but I prefer white. All the lamps in the RV have been replaced with 5000K colored lamps.

Also, an incandescent 921 lamp starts out at about 264 lumens and dims to about 105 lumens over it's life. I try to look for LEDs with about 250+ lumens. That way I know they'll be as bright or brighter than the lamps they're replacing.
Old 08-16-2016, 07:57 AM   #6
Site Team

Do a search here for LED replacements. Some of the inexpensive ones generate considerable RF noise and will impact Radio and TV reception. Lot of members have done conversions with success so following their lead should yield good results.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 65W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

Too often the poorly wired light is causing to much ampere draw. Inspect each light for good grounds, and solid connections. Also you (sometimes) can feel each wire for excessive heat.

Tags
electric, electrical, switch