Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-21-2015, 09:10 PM   #1

electrical switch orientation

2015 cardinal model 2015 - there is a control panel by the rear door and the concept is great. but the implementation just befuddles me. there are several on/off switches (tank heaters, water pump, water heater) you can press the top or bottom of to turn the circuit on or off. when on there is a red light in the switch that glows. so far great. but on some of them you press the bottom to turn it on and on others you press the top to turn it on. it varies from switch to switch. physically these all look like the same same switch. am i crazy or would it make sense to install these consistently so that pressing the top turned the switch on and pressing to bottom turned it off. i'm planning on pulling the control panel to see how hard it would be to reoriented a couple of switches but haven't got to that yet. has anybody else seen this?
CHICKDOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 06:21 AM   #2

I do this for living, (HMI - Human Machine Interface)

It drives me nuts when I see inconsistency. My 2001 Mirada was same way.

Generally UP or RIGHT is ON and DOWN or LEFT is OFF.

My big one was the entry step switch. Press the top of the switch to lower the steps, press the bottom of the switch to retract the steps--- URGH.

I not only changed the switch (Top to retract, bottom to extend) but also its location. It was down low and to turn the switch on from the inside meant a somersault down the steps.

Relocating entry step and porch light switches | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

OH YAH - The Generator switch is also backwards - Press on the left side to start, and press on the right side to stop. This is backwards from industry standards.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM   #3

The RV industry has NO standards.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICKDOE View Post
2015 cardinal model 2015 - there is a control panel by the rear door and the concept is great. but the implementation just befuddles me. there are several on/off switches (tank heaters, water pump, water heater) you can press the top or bottom of to turn the circuit on or off. when on there is a red light in the switch that glows. so far great. but on some of them you press the bottom to turn it on and on others you press the top to turn it on. it varies from switch to switch. physically these all look like the same same switch. am i crazy or would it make sense to install these consistently so that pressing the top turned the switch on and pressing to bottom turned it off. i'm planning on pulling the control panel to see how hard it would be to reoriented a couple of switches but haven't got to that yet. has anybody else seen this?
If they are the typical rv industry rocker switches they have plastic expanders (locks) at the top and bottom (narrow ends) that when squeezed will allow the switch to come out the front of the panel. Squeeze, push out, rotate 180 degrees, push back in.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:07 AM   #5

I expect if you were to disconnect the batteries and shore power to make sure there is no power to that panel, you can remove the whole panel and the fix will be very easy.

You will see little tabs holding the switch into the opening on the panel and maybe you could squeeze those tabs to pop the switch out and press it back in after rotating 180 degrees.

If the switch is not symmetrical, or for some reason it doesn't make sense to rotate it, you may be able to move some of the wires around. Most switches like that have push-on connections that you can move to change the way the switch operates, but that may be something for an electrical person to do. It wouldn't have to be an RV tech, any electrical or electronics tech could do it.
matwiyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, electrical