Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2017, 09:22 PM   #1

Electrical wiring question

I am lost. My outside porch light and step light on my fifth wheel will not go out! I flip the switch and they stay on. Both are on together when the switch is on. I thought the switch was bad, but since I was not home, I took the control panel off and disconnected the wiring to the switch. I thought this would turn the lights off. NOT!!!!! They remained on!. I cannot get them to turn off at all. What makes them remain on when the switch is disconnected? I thought no power, no lights. Any help is appreciated.
grandpamuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:25 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpamuck View Post
I am lost. My outside porch light and step light on my fifth wheel will not go out! I flip the switch and they stay on. Both are on together when the switch is on. I thought the switch was bad, but since I was not home, I took the control panel off and disconnected the wiring to the switch. I thought this would turn the lights off. NOT!!!!! They remained on!. I cannot get them to turn off at all. What makes them remain on when the switch is disconnected? I thought no power, no lights. Any help is appreciated.
Do you also have a remote control for this by any chance? We have instances of where if you turn them on by the remote, you will also have to turn them off by such.

The remote works off a different wiring relay to the light than just the switch, if equipped.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:26 PM   #3

just guessing. are you sure you have the right switch? sometimes the labelling on the control panels is quite misleading. i'm assuming these are 12 volt lights. how about pulling the fuses one at a time until you get the one that cuts the lights. now that you know which fuse it is you can probably trace the wire from the fuse to the switch to confirm which switch it is.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
Site Team

X2 remote

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:32 PM   #5

Thanks to you both. I think have a remote but have never used it. Will check and see if somehow it got pressed. Also the panel is ok. I disconnected other ones for lights and they stayed on. Keep the ideas coming. They are all great.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:36 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpamuck View Post
Thanks to you both. I think have a remote but have never used it. Will check and see if somehow it got pressed. Also the panel is ok. I disconnected other ones for lights and they stayed on. Keep the ideas coming. They are all great.
Yes, please check the remote. We've had instances of where the kids used the remote, and the parents didn't know. The part for the light could have gotten pressed when using the remote for the slides, stabilizers, etc.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 06-24-2017, 11:05 PM   #7

To ALL! It was the remote. We had it in a drawer and somehow it got turned on. Since moved it to a better spot. Thanks!
Old 06-25-2017, 01:40 AM   #8
Site Team

Excellent. Thanks for the update. This may help others in the future searching the forums for similar.

Tags
electric, electrical, wiring