Old 06-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #1

Electrified???

I replaced the valve on my black water flush out system today and noticed that when I touched any metal part of the frame of my trailer, I could feel an electrical current running through it! Not enough to really shock me, but certainly enough to cause some discomfort. It doesn't matter where on the frame I touch either, it feels the same. What is going on?

I have a 2010 Rockwood Roo 23 RS.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #2

Reverse polarity. If your plugged into shore power, your outlet needs to be rewired. If you're on battery then go flip flop the battery cables.

Old 06-28-2015, 11:09 PM   #3

If you're plugged in and you've recently done any work on your converter, the reverse polarity could be coming from a wiring mix-up from there too... if not at the outlet.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:10 PM   #4

Take a volt meter and ground one lead to a water pipe or some steel rod in the ground then touch the other lead to a bare spot on the frame.

What is the voltage and the amperage?
Old 06-28-2015, 11:18 PM   #5

This could be leakage current, a poor ground in the electrical service or a jumper is missing around a water meter or in some cases a gas meter. There could also be corrosion in the electrical service or a bad ground rod at the service entrance.
An electrician should be called to check this.

I highly doubt it is 12 volts from the battery, be careful flipping the cables as this could cause larger issues with damaged equipment.

When you touch the trailer and earth you are forming the safety ground with your body.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
If you're plugged in and you've recently done any work on your converter, the reverse polarity could be coming from a wiring mix-up from there too... if not at the outlet.
I haven't done any electrical work at all since I've had the trailer. I did put the battery in backwards once years ago, and it immediately blew the fuse so I corrected it.
Old 06-29-2015, 12:27 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Take a volt meter and ground one lead to a water pipe or some steel rod in the ground then touch the other lead to a bare spot on the frame.

What is the voltage and the amperage?
I will have to do this when I get home and have my volt meter.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:44 AM   #8
Site Team

It's possible you were plugged into a faulty/miswired outlet at the campground.

I'll send a message to Mike Sokol on your behalf, who is our go-to person on RV hot skin condition that you're referring to. He is a member here, and also has many informative videos and such on this. You won't meet a better person trying to save everyone's live's.

Here is a link to his website and things to consider to see if it applies to your situation:

RV Electrical Safety: Part IV €“ Hot Skin | No~Shock~Zone

Ducks are just all-terrain chickens
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

I had this problem last year and it took a month of troubleshooting to find it.

At some unknown time the ground wire (bare copper) had come out of the shore power socket on the side of the camper. Since it was in the camper, I never noticed it during my shore power checks.

Ordinarily, this would not be an issue BUT I did have to replace a GFCI outlet 2 years ago. When the bare copper ground wire in THAT outlet worked its way out of the wire nut I used and came in contact with the Neutral screw, that caused a VERY dangerous "Hot Skin" condition on the camper.

Luckily I noticed it when working on wheels (kneeling on the grass) and not in wet bare feet coming back from the campground pool!

Mike Sokol helped me directly to track down the double failure that caused my problem.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 08:01 AM   #10

Mike is the smartest guy I know on the subject and he is more than willing to help you out. Great guy. He will get you headed in the right direction.

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote