Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2019, 11:34 AM   #1

Emergency Start System ESS

This is my first post here. I decided to write this because after reading several posts here and after talking several times to Forest River I could find no clear understanding of how to wire the Emergency Start System (ESS) in my vehicle. I own a 2020 Sunseeker MBS 2400G, so the details I will give you here apply to it, your vehicle may not be wired the same. My background includes close to 50 years chasing wiring in aircraft, cars, boats, and RV's.

When I purchased this RV, my 4th owned, I could not understand why Forest river did not wire the ESS in my coach. All of my past RV's had it in one form or another.

I talked extensively to Precision Circuits about the operation of the Battery Control Center (BCC) and the Battery Isolation Manager (BIM) located within it. I traced the wiring in my RV both electrically and manually, following the wires by hand to confirm the connections.

For the purpose of the ESS, the BIM has an override function built into it that will force it to close when selected, this is the SIG connection. Applying either power or ground to this terminal will close the BIM and connect the house and the chassis batteries regardless of the battery's state of charge. That's right, switching either power or ground to the SIG terminal will close the BIM, we live in a world of X's and O's, not manual relays.

As stated, with the BIM closed the house and chassis batteries will be connected and MAYBE you could start your RV if the chassis battery were dead. Unfortunately in my case, Forest River chose to put a 150 amp thermal current limiter in the wire, #2 cable, that runs from the BATT A, the chassis battery connection of the BIM to the positive post of the chassis battery.

I suppose if your chassis battery were only partially dead you might get a start without exceeding 150 amps but I doubt it. Wait for the thermal breaker to reset and charge the chassis battery with either shore power or the generator and try again. Better, why is your chassis battery dead, with the BIM, your engine should charge all the batteries while driving and either shore power or the generator should charge all the batteries while parked. If you are parked and are using batteries only the BIM should isolate the chassis battery so you do not discharge it.

The 150 amp thermal breaker is located under the drivers seat, it is about 2 inches square, black, and is made by BEP. The #2 red wire runs from one side back under the house and over to the BIM, Batt A connection. The wire from the other side of the thermal breaker runs forward to the chassis battery, about 18 inches.

For those of you that have already wired an ESS switch, I would suggest checking for that breaker or fuse somewhere in the feed wire from the chassis battery, better to know your limitations before trouble.

In the process of this I have gained a through understanding of the primary power circuit of the coach. There is a lot going on inside the BCC as well that you should be aware of. I am working on a diagram showing what I have found and will post it here when completed. Tech support at Forest River denied any knowledge of the 150 amp breaker, however, its existence is a good reason why they do not wire an ESS switch from the factory.

Again, this is what I found in my coach, yours may be different. you can reply here or if you have specific question feel free to pm me. Thank you.
Flatside is offline   Reply With Quote