Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

EMS-PT50C Reading High Voltage????

Need some help. My surge protector doing something strange. I have a 30amp service at home for my RV. I use a 30amp to 50amp dongle to supply power to the MH, works fine. Today, I hooked up my surge protector and got the following. L1 is reading 117v and L2 is reading 157volts. I have checked the dongle and have 122volts on each leg to the neutral as it should be. Ground is fine also, tried disconnecting at the panel and the EMS picked up an open ground, as it should. I will be calling Progressive in the morning, too late today.

Thought someone here might have some thoughts. Used the surge protector a couple of weeks ago at a park and it worked fine.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 AM   #2

It's going to be either working, or not working. It's very unlikely that it's going to report an incorrect voltage, especially more than there actually is.
treaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:40 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Subscribed.
Wanna see what u phind.
Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Here's a link to the site and contact info... EMS-PT50C

I'm sure they answer your question.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

No help on the phone, which I expected. It is in the capable hands of FedEx on its way to North Carolina. Lady was real nice on the phone and said they would either repair or replace it. Told me there is a 2 to 3 day turn around. They leave the device plugged in for 24hrs to insure proper operation. I just bought this unit in Sept 2012, so hope this is not a sign of things to come. These are supposed to be the best. Outlay was $15 for shipping.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:50 PM   #6

Did the unit trip on high voltage? The 30 amp provides only 120 on one leg, inside the adapter its a hybrid 120 volt to both the hot legs of the 50 amp supply to the coach. This problem sounds like a display electronic fault, if it really read 157 volts in the incoming circuits, I would think it would trip.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Vince, it did not trip, it would not come on line. When it saw the high voltage on L2 it would not close the internal relay and send power inside. Yep, I understand the way the adapter works, and that was the first thing I checked. I have a True RMS volt meter and it read 122.1 volts on both legs. The adapter was doing its thing. Funny thing is, I just used this at a campground about 2 weeks ago and had no problems. I wish I had the proper 240volt receptacle here at home to check it that way.

I hope they tell me what the problem is after repairing.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:19 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
I hope they tell me what the problem is after repairing.
"It was broke. Now it is fixed."
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryD0706 View Post
"It was broke. Now it is fixed."

Good one Barry!!!
Old 04-30-2013, 07:31 PM   #10
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Update on unit. My EMS was shipped yesterday. Asked them what they had to do. Owner replied and said they had to replace the logic board and contactor. Was not surprised at the logic board, but was at the contactor. Re-asked if water got into it and here is the reply:

"This is always a problem with PT models no matter how hard you try to seal them some of the units just get this way"

This came to me directly from the President of Progressive industries. So here is the explanation of failure.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by awwall View Post
Update on unit. My EMS was shipped yesterday. Asked them what they had to do. Owner replied and said they had to replace the logic board and contactor. Was not surprised at the logic board, but was at the contactor. Re-asked if water got into it and here is the reply:

"This is always a problem with PT models no matter how hard you try to seal them some of the units just get this way"

This came to me directly from the President of Progressive industries. So here is the explanation of failure.
So it was an electronic display failure (and others). Agree the contactor and water ingress is less result than desired.
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Got update today from the Tech who did the repair, here is his comment.

"It looks as it was water damage that caused the failures. Although the unit is weather resistant, during a heavy rainstorm, covering the unit would not hurt, and help prolong the life. If you have any other questions, feel free to e-mail or give us a call. Thank you and have a great day."

This confirms that is was water damage. While waiting on the unit to come back, I have rewired and moved it inside next to the auto transfer switch. Hopefully this will keep it out of sight and DRY.