Old 02-15-2015, 03:08 AM   #1

Epsolar tracer-2210rn question

Have fitted an Epsolar 2210RN MPPT solar charger but not sure what's happening, all wired up correctly and charging but the green LCD light is flashing which means overcharge to the battery, looked at the Remote Meter (MT-5) its says 14.8v which is Equalization charge but when checked the voltage at battery terminals it is 13.8v. also when i check the SOC at the meter it says 53% even though the battery is fully charged at 12.6v after a couple of hours rest.
one more problem is when left overnight the red light has come on on the solar charger showing only 11.4v on the remote meter, but when checked the voltage at the battery terminals its approx 12.5v (95% battery charged) the led light returns to green when daylight appears, any ideas anyone, Cheers

Old 02-15-2015, 08:24 AM   #2

I quickly looked thru the manual. Have you set the CC to the proper battery type you have (wet, gel, etc)? Whats the distance from the CC to the batteries? What size wire? It really seems to me that either the wire is grossly undersized or there is some resistance in that wire to the battery (loose or bad connection). One other thing could cause a problem is using the frame as part of the charging circuit. A few details would help.

Old 02-17-2015, 02:18 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
I quickly looked thru the manual. Have you set the CC to the proper battery type you have (wet, gel, etc)? Whats the distance from the CC to the batteries? What size wire? It really seems to me that either the wire is grossly undersized or there is some resistance in that wire to the battery (loose or bad connection). One other thing could cause a problem is using the frame as part of the charging circuit. A few details would help.
The battery is set to Wet, have just checked the wire in the rear box where the battery is housed and the diameter of the cable is 8mm, this runs about 7ft to the control electrical panel, I think the guys who fitted the solar panel have taken the wires from the Charge Controller to the electric control box rather then run the wires straight to the battery terminal, if the wires from the battery to the electric control box are 8mm thick and 7ft long then there must be some power loss/resistance in the cable, not very good on electrics concerning solar panel wiring, this may be the reason different voltage at Solar Charger and Battery Terminals, Any Ideas Please
Old 02-17-2015, 03:22 PM   #4

8mm outside insulation that should be #10 wire. 5 amps on #10 at 12.5 volts will only be about .1 volt drop. If you have more load than generation, your solar power would be going to the draw not the batteries.

How much solar do you have?

The light changing from red to green in the morning is normal. Red is discharging and green is generating.

Does your CC's use a separate sensing line to the battery in order to read the battery voltage? I can't remember if i read if it needs one or not. If not, that could also cause the problem.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:53 PM   #5

Quote:
8mm outside insulation that should be #10 wire. 5 amps on #10 at 12.5 volts will only be about .1 volt drop. If you have more load than generation, your solar power would be going to the draw not the batteries.

How much solar do you have?

The light changing from red to green in the morning is normal. Red is discharging and green is generating.

Does your CC's use a separate sensing line to the battery in order to read the battery voltage? I can't remember if i read if it needs one or not. If not, that could also cause the problem.
The solar panel is 200w, the voltage at the CC at the moment is 13.7v and the battery terminals is 13.3v which I think is float charging, the green light on the CC is flashing which I think means the battery is fully charged but also over charging, but on float charge at 13.7v I thought the voltage was correct.
Since I have switch off the little heater switch around the freezer compartment as it the Dometic fridge the SOC is now at 100% where as before it was always at 50%-54%, possibly everything is starting to settle down by the looks of it, the only worry is the green light flashing don't want to damage the deep cycle battery,
Forgot to mention the only load was the fridge heater when it decided to switch itself on,
Old 02-17-2015, 05:43 PM   #6

I have a Tracer/Epsolar CC.
On my unit the PV LED flashing means it is charging and the Batt Led flashing means the battery is fully charged.
I found that the MT-5 meter readings (especially the SOC) were not very accurate. I installed an inline volt, amp, SOC, amp hr meter and it is way more accurate. I don't bother to even look at the MT-5 anymore.

2007 Surveyor SV230
- 200 Watts Solar/MPPT Controller - 230 AH Battery Bank - 600 watt PSW Inverter - (2) 2000 watt Inverter Generators - LED Lighting - Boon Docking 99% of the time.
2009 F150 - 5.4 Litre - Tow Package
boondocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 07:01 PM   #7

Maybe you could monitor the system a while. Keep a close eye on the battery fluid level. If you rarely need to add water, you're not over charging so don't worry about the green light.

From Boondocking's post, it sounds like the remote display is the problem.

Keep us updated.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:37 AM   #8

Quote:
Maybe you could monitor the system a while. Keep a close eye on the battery fluid level. If you rarely need to add water, you're not over charging so don't worry about the green light.

From Boondocking's post, it sounds like the remote display is the problem.

Keep us updated.
Yep will keep an eye on the battery fluid and monitor the system next few weeks, at the moment no water loss from battery,
Thanks for your reply's, may add I separate voltmeter sometime in the very near future.

Cheers

Derek

Tags
210, solar