Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2019, 11:45 AM   #1

Question excess noise from solar cables

I have a 2019 Isata 5. There is a very loud slapping noise when driving on any other than smooth roads due to the solar cables hitting against the inside of the compartment behind the driver's seat. It is where the cables lead to the electric dept. It seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Any ideas on how to fix that?
mem4lem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:40 PM   #2

A can of "Great Stuff" foam.

A couple marshmallow sized applications along the wire run and the slapping will be dampened.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #3

Buy some of these of the appropriate size:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rustark-250...ds=wire+clamps
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Buy some of these of the appropriate size:
https://smile.amazon.com/Rustark-250...ds=wire+clamps

These certainly work but so far I've had a hard time finding any panel material in my RV thick enough to properly use a screw. 3/16" thick paneling (Door Skin) really stinks for screws.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Google is your friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mem4lem View Post
I have a 2019 Isata 5. There is a very loud slapping noise when driving on any other than smooth roads due to the solar cables hitting against the inside of the compartment behind the driver's seat. It is where the cables lead to the electric dept. It seems to be getting louder as time goes on. Any ideas on how to fix that?
Enter the following in Google
self-adhesive wire clips

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 08:11 AM   #6

excess noise from solar cables

I was unclear about my question. The problem is how to get into the compartment where the cables are slapping against the wall. Here is a photo of that area(if I attached it correctly) It is where the controls are for the slide, solar, jacks, etc are located. The only idea I have to take all of those control units out and try to get my hand inside to zip tie them and attach to the inside of the walls or maybe put pipe insulation over them. I am open to all suggestions. The noise is bad now but getting worse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190207_101335.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	196363
Old 02-08-2019, 09:44 AM   #7

You have the right idea

Quote:
I was unclear about my question. The problem is how to get into the compartment where the cables are slapping against the wall. Here is a photo of that area(if I attached it correctly) It is where the controls are for the slide, solar, jacks, etc are located. The only idea I have to take all of those control units out and try to get my hand inside to zip tie them and attach to the inside of the walls or maybe put pipe insulation over them. I am open to all suggestions. The noise is bad now but getting worse.
You have the right idea. You may not need to pull all the units. Every other one might be enough.

Pipe insulation is what I thought of, too.

Larry
Old 02-08-2019, 10:06 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

Attachment 196363
Remove the outlet, 3 screws and it is out. Remove another unit and push pipe insulation in there. I would not use foam, makes maintenance hard if you glue cables down for the radio or other electronics when you need slack for removal.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 05:39 AM   #9

message for Brian

Thanks for all of the great suggestions but access is the problem. I have solar in there and can't even force foam inside. If I cut, removed, and spliced the excess wiring, it amounts to about 18 ft. but I really hesitate because I have no schematics if there is a problem later. I pulled out what I could and zip tied but, if anything, the noise is worse. The noise is in the lower section and my problem is how to get to that area. it sounds like a hammer hitting inside the interior and echoing up through the channel. Please, Brian, any help at all is appreciated.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:16 AM   #10

Lower area

Quote:
Thanks for all of the great suggestions but access is the problem. I have solar in there and can't even force foam inside. If I cut, removed, and spliced the excess wiring, it amounts to about 18 ft. but I really hesitate because I have no schematics if there is a problem later. I pulled out what I could and zip tied but, if anything, the noise is worse. The noise is in the lower section and my problem is how to get to that area. it sounds like a hammer hitting inside the interior and echoing up through the channel. Please, Brian, any help at all is appreciated.
I would have removed and spliced the wiring, but since you are reluctant to do so, here's another easy method.

Pull out one of the electronics devices above the noisy area. Fill the area below with polystyrene beads (often called "Styrofoam beads."). If you can, reach in and pull the cables to the center, away from any wall. These are available at Target, Michaels, and JoAnn Fabrics. Back in the day you could get huge bags at Menards and borrow a blower to install them--but that's a story for another day.

You could also use Styrofoam packing peanuts or cut up an old beanbag chair.

Larry
Old 03-09-2019, 09:29 AM   #11

I don't think you want to be filling that cavity with "Foam Beads", Spray Foam, or any other material like that. Those are "Electronics" electronic generate HEAT and need airflow around to keep them cool. Tie wraps, Pipe insulation...that is where I'd be heading. Just my opinion.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 10:23 AM   #12

I believe you hit the fix on the nail head, pulling units to get access. Maybe some pipe insulation and zip ties. Isn't it great they assemble these without a care for when they need to be worked on? Err. Hey how fast are you driving anyway?
laughingdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:47 AM   #13

excess noise from solar cables

Thanks for all the great tips. You people are amazing. When I tried to duplicate the noise from the outside of the tower, the panel fell inside. It was attached with 1 paper type staple. So I pulled it out and took pix. I think it will give all of you a better idea of what I am dealing with. It has been so frustrating. I was thinking of stuffing memory foam in there but never thought about air flow. I am not sure I should be concerned as it is just wiring. All opinions and suggestions are welcome. There is one small thin telephone wire that I am holding in first wire. I am not sure where it goes but it broke loose from it's connection. It may be from the invertor. I am leaving in the morning for Perry for FMCA rally and then 2 months hiking in Southwest so will have to deal with it on the road which we all know is not fun. Also, once I do solve the wire noise problem, how in the world do I reattach the panel?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wires.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	198484   Click image for larger version

Name:	small wire.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	198485  
Old 03-11-2019, 09:56 AM   #14

Being able to see inside helps. You may be able to get by with tie wrapping all the wires and then stuffing some foam in that lower part. Just don't want to cover up the electronics themselves. I'm considered a "Wood Butcher" and not a "Wood Worker" so I'll leave that panel to someone that's better at Wood work than I am.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:10 AM   #15
Recently new!

Send a message via AIM to Paulie1138
Might try Velcro on the panel edge and frame. Or some metal strips and glue some strong magnets, or magnetic strips

Magnets: https://www.amazon.com/DIYMAG-Powerf...gateway&sr=8-6

Magnetic strip: https://www.amazon.com/Flexible-Magn...-1-spons&psc=1
Loving wife, R.I.P., 6/6/19
and Mason the always dirty dog! R.I.P, 2/19
Paulie1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 02:17 PM   #16

First get the wiring stabilized. Maybe now that you can see it, you can wrap it with bubble wrap in a way that doesn't block air flow to the electronics.

Then take a few of the electronic units out so you have access from the "side." The panel overlaps from the back side. Put the panel in place and use Gorilla Tape and tape it on all four sides. You shouldn't need continuous strips. A 2" strip every 6-8" would probably be sufficient.

Larry
Old 03-11-2019, 05:02 PM   #17

Buy some screw mount cable ties like these and do it properly. No foam...no bubble wrap. Do it properly and you will never have an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Mount-C.../dp/B00213KL76
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 PM   #18

Getting closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Buy some screw mount cable ties like these and do it properly. No foam...no bubble wrap. Do it properly and you will never have an issue.

https://www.amazon.com/Screw-Mount-C.../dp/B00213KL76
Getting closer. Good idea, but some of those panels are so thin that I'd be afraid of putting a screw right through them. Babcock, what do you think of these adhesive-backed cable ties?

Larry
Old 03-11-2019, 06:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
Getting closer. Good idea, but some of those panels are so thin that I'd be afraid of putting a screw right through them. Babcock, what do you think of these adhesive-backed cable ties?

Larry
They suck unless you epoxy them on.
Old 03-13-2019, 03:05 PM   #20

just an idea I had while looking at the photos. It came to me that the wires might be acting like a drum when they hit the sides of the hollow cabinet. I might try gluing/taping some thin foam down on the inside walls of the cabinet to see if it would dampen the sound some when the cable hit. Like others suggested I would also be zip tying things up the best I could and possibly also attaching the larger cables to the wall so they're not swinging free to bounce and hit the inside of the cabinet. good luck.

Chevy Express 3500 van
Palomino Solaire 251RBSS
Wherever you go, go with all your heart.
cincia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable, noise, solar