Old 06-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Exploding Battery problem

Last week tuesday my battery up and exploded on me. The previous week I had 2 12v batteries connected and noticed that one of the batteries appeared to be boiling and emitting a sulphurous smell. Disconnected that battery and proceeded to camp with the other battery. Week went great. Got home plugged in to charge, 2 days later Boom.
I've got a new battery connected and presently charging. shows around 13.7v at the posts connected to 30a power.

Long story short; at what point does the power system stop charging the batteries? I tested a couple of my neighbours batteries that were plugged in and are showing 0amps. Mine after 5hrs of charging is showing 0.78amps. I'm going to leave charging over night to see if the system stops charging the battery. My worry is that the exploded battery may have been over charged. I drained the battery to about 2/3 and began charging, initially about 25amps and dropping to the .78 after 4hrs.
I have a Surveyor SV-303 2008 model.
I've read some of the other posts, and yes the exploded battery was an older battery 3-4 yrs when I got it last summer so It could have been the battery that caused the problem. Just worried about the charge system.
Thank-you in advance for any help.

Roganravenwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 10:34 PM   #2
When the battery starts to smell bad like rotten eggs. Its dead they usually blow up soon after that point, due to internal shorting of plates. Did you see alot of white residue on top of battery? If you try to charge it at that point they blow up. When they start smelling like that get rid of them quickly. You can get a chemical burn if they blow up on you.

showtime0022 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
The terminal had some white residue. Just checked as well down to 0.74amps now as well. Just curious at what point does the system stop charging the battery? does it just go down to 0.0a or will it quit some point higher?
Old 06-27-2011, 08:06 AM   #4
Site Team
Always wear googles or at least glasses when messing with batteries!
Exploding batteries are a major eye threat.
Did you check water level in the battery that was giving you problems??

The charger will probably never go down to 0 charge rate but that's OK.

Check the actual across the terminals voltage after a couple days and
report back what you find.
Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Checked the battery this morning is at .20amps. When I turn off the refrigerator it drops to near zero. Yay not a charging problem. Tip of they day make sure you are using good batteries. Just cause Dad says they are good doesn't mean they are. Thank you all for the great tips and advice in all the other forums as well.