Old 10-05-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Weekend Warrior
Extension cord usage with adapters

If this has been covered please point me in the right direction.
Battery charging and refer use, am I ok to use approximately 59' of 600 volt type SO cord between the 20 amp service on my house and the camper? The type SO cord will have 20 amp standard 3 prong outlets at each end plugged in to the shore power cord with the adapter.
This is what I have available

SUPER K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM   #2
Battery charging and refer use shouldn't take a lot of amps. I wouldn't worry too much if that's all you're doing. Just don't try to run very much more than that with that length and gauge or it'll start to get hot.

2012 Chevy Tahoe LTZ - HD tow package
2017 Rockwood 2703WS Emerald Edition
raspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
Weekend Warrior
If I stepped down in gauge would it help? I have standard construction grade cords in 12 gauge 15 amp.
SUPER K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:52 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
Just to be clear, most if not all household circuits are 15 amp not 20 amp.

A 20 amp plug has one prong sideways.
A 20 amp receptical "normally" will accept a 15 and 20 amp plug.
Much like this one.

Just don't want you to think you have 20 amps available just in case you don't.

Name:   max4400rec.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  7.2 KB

TURBS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
Use the biggest gauge cord you've got. The skinnier they are, the more the risk of overheating. Also. it's the length of the cord that's important, not how far you extend it. A 200' cord has the same characteristics even if it's coiled up and only runs 30'.

I have that situation. If the RV is out in the street, I need most of the 150' cord I have. If it's in its parking slot alongside the garage, the run is only about 15'. However, it's the only 8-gauge cord I have - the short ones are skinny little things, maybe 18 gauge. I normally only run lights occasionally and keep the batteries charged, but when winterised, I put a 1500 watt oil-filled radiator with a plug-in digital thermostat which is set up to keep the interior at about 38F. We don't get really cold here, less than 25F for a winter low is quite rare and daytime highs are almost always above 32F.

Of course, summer highs are rarely above 75F, but on the whole it's a pleasant climate, except for the "Indefinite ceiling, sky obscured, 39 degrees, rain and fog" that our local airport ATIS often gives out in winter. A couple of weeks with every day like that can get up your nose a little!
Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote