Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

exterior lights come on with cab door operation

All running lights, clearance lights and tail lights come on for approximately 15 seconds each time either cab door is opened or, if door was open long enough for the lights to go out, they come on again when the door is closed. All those incandescent lights on for no good reason, particularly since I'm getting forgetful and have to open and close a door for every little thing I have forgotten, puts unneeded load on my trickle charger. Plus, late evening in a crowded camp ground, brings unwanted attention if I just need to grab a different pair of glasses. Short of putting tape over the door switches, which would mess up several safety features if I forget that as well, I would really like to turn this feature off. I thought this was a Ford feature, however two Ford dealers and a couple of online “experts” have no idea and each have said it must be a ForestRiver system. Anyone have any idea how to turn this feature off?
2015 SUNSEEKER ON FORD E-450 CHASSIS
rvlou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
Site Team

I believe it is a Ford feature. It's called Perimeter Approach Lighting.

The following procedure is for a slightly older model, but it may work for you. If not a dealer should be able to turn it off now that you know what it's called.

Enabling/Disabling the perimeter lighting feature
Your vehicle comes with the perimeter lighting feature enabled. All vehicle doors must be closed before beginning the procedure. You must complete Steps 1-5 withing 30 seconds, or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait a minimum of 30 seconds to begin again.

1. Turn the ignition to the ON position, then press the unlock control three times.
2. Turn the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position, then press the unlock control three times.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON position; the horn will chirp to indicate the driver configuration mode has been activated.
4. Within five seconds, press the unlock control two times.

Note: One horn chirp should be heard, indicating the system has been disabled. Conversely, a horn chirp followed by a honk will indicate the system is enabled. Pressing the power door unlock control two times again will turn the feature ON if it was previously OFF, or OFF if it was previously ON. Every two consecutive presses of the unlock control after successfully entering the configuration mode will change the enable/disable condition of the feature.

5. Turn the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position to exit programming.

Note: After exiting the driver configuration mode, the horn will chirp once to indicate a feature has been activated/deactivated.
Old 06-14-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

This thread is timely! Just this past weekend the DW was inquiring why the lights came on when I opened the cab door. Now I know - plus now I know how to disable it!

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 03:01 PM   #4

Thank Bama Rambler, I was so excited, but sadly no success. Got the chirp at step 3, pressed unlock 2x for step 4, nada, no chirp. Pressed unlock 2 more times, nothing. Have tried the entire procedure several times from the top, just get the chirp entering or exiting the driver configuration mode, never a chirp or chirp and honk, but the lights still come on with each door opening. Thanks again, at least I know what to call this when I next talk to Ford.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlou View Post
Thank Bama Rambler, I was so excited, but sadly no success. Got the chirp at step 3, pressed unlock 2x for step 4, nada, no chirp. Pressed unlock 2 more times, nothing. Have tried the entire procedure several times from the top, just get the chirp entering or exiting the driver configuration mode, never a chirp or chirp and honk, but the lights still come on with each door opening. Thanks again, at least I know what to call this when I next talk to Ford.
Didn't you get a Ford Owner's Manual with your Sunseeker? Seems odd that you wouldn't.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Yes, have the 2014 E-SERIES Owner's Manual. Checked the index, the Table of Contents, the word/s perimeter lighting feature not to be found. Have 52 pages explaining how to use SYNC, which is not installed, but hey, why wouldn't I like to know something about that??!!!?? WTH?
Old 06-19-2016, 06:38 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvlou View Post
Yes, have the 2014 E-SERIES Owner's Manual. Checked the index, the Table of Contents, the word/s perimeter lighting feature not to be found. Have 52 pages explaining how to use SYNC, which is not installed, but hey, why wouldn't I like to know something about that??!!!?? WTH?
I guess Ford still has a better idea!

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:42 PM   #8
Site Team

They have probably changed the sequence of turning the feature on and off, but any Ford dealer should be to turn it off for you or may even be able to tell you the proper keyswitch sequence.

Tags
door, exterior, light