Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2018, 05:39 PM   #1
Always Learning

Extra Outlet in Camper from Campground Pedestal

I know I've seen it here but honestly I'm not even sure what to search for..

What I want is an outlet on the inside that is fed directly from the 15/20amp outlet on the campground pedestal.

And let me preface this with:
  • Yes, I know that I don't always get an extra 20amps on a 30amp sites
  • Yes, I know this can pop a breaker somewhere away from my campsite
  • Yes, I know I can just tuck an extension cord in the slide seal or through a window

All of that said, I'd still like an outlet that is fed directly from an extension cord to the campground pedestal.

Has anyone who has done this taken pictures/documented the process?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:23 PM   #2

Something like this should work.

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Power...3544B8A3C274AD

Biggest issue would be consealing the wiring in the wall. Pretty straightforward I would think.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 08:38 AM   #3
Always Learning

Fortunately, I have a landing that I can work under that is wide open but “hidden” from sight that should make this pretty easy to figure out. I found they have a 15amp version so I can use my existing extension cord.

On another forum, a guy mentioned that he added a switch near his breaker panel to switch between the breaker and the extra extension cord. I like that idea for our washer/dryer combo.
Old 07-19-2018, 08:57 AM   #4

Not a bad idea. Sounds like you have a plan.
007matman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #5
Site Team

Here's one thread about something similair.
Iwritecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:31 AM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwritecode View Post
Thanks! That led me to this Amazon product - outlet + integrated extension cord:
https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-Genius-G...DGW6DZZVYZQNB0
Old 07-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #7

Extra plug

I added a plug to my trailer just for floor heater.
Ran the line to an exterior plug in my connection compartment.
Now I run a 30 amp extension cord to the pedestal. Works crazy good.

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 12:59 PM   #8

Here's what the former owner did...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
I know I've seen it here but honestly I'm not even sure what to search for..

What I want is an outlet on the inside that is fed directly from the 15/20amp outlet on the campground pedestal.

And let me preface this with:
  • Yes, I know that I don't always get an extra 20amps on a 30amp sites
  • Yes, I know this can pop a breaker somewhere away from my campsite
  • Yes, I know I can just tuck an extension cord in the slide seal or through a window

All of that said, I'd still like an outlet that is fed directly from an extension cord to the campground pedestal.

Has anyone who has done this taken pictures/documented the process?

Thanks in advance.
This is a slight modification of what one of the former owners of our 2007 Cherokee 38P did:
The front inside of the trailer is all cabinetry. At the bottom right, there's a blank panel. Behind it is a "baggage compartment." (You could also do this under a bed.)

Get a standard outlet box, outlet, and cover plate. Mount it in the blank panel, near the trailer side. A shallow box is nice, since it protrudes less into the baggage compartment. get one with a good strain relief. Also get a couple of feet of #12 SJO three-wire cord and a good 3-wire plug with a good strain-relief.

Drill a hole straight through the floor, beneath the box, just big enough to pass the cord.

Connect one end of the cord to the plug. (black-to-gold, white-to-silver, green-to-green). Tighten the strain relief.

Push the other end of the cord through the hole, up from the bottom until the plug is at a convenient height. Not so low it would drag, but easy to grab from outside. Insert it into the box and tighten the strain relief. Cut the cord so about 6" protrudes outside the box. Strip the outer jacket, and and then strip and connect connect the cord to the outlet. (black-to-gold, white-to-silver, green-to-green).

Get a 12/3 extension cord to connect the dangling plug to the pedestal.

Larry
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:00 PM   #9

Sounds like a good way to do it. One concern...before cutting a hole in your wall, be sure there are no wires hidden in there already. I was about to do this in a trailer and found some nearby wiring that looked as if it might go right through where I was planning to cut. I'm still trying to be sure about any hidden wiring before I cut that hole. I know there's a device like a stud finder that will show hidden wires, but I don't have one.

Anyone have a suggestion?
Old 07-19-2018, 01:08 PM   #10

Plug pedestal

Best advice is to look at YOUTUBE. several video to make this happen.

Larry & Sharon
lckeehne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 01:13 PM   #11

Doug I did something similar when I ran a cord for my electric water heater. I cut off a short piece of a 12 gauge extension cord and ran it inside for the heater. I used the male end of the cord and ran it inside along side the low point drain lines. I left a one foot stub dangling below the floor to connect an extension cord.
I used a power inlet like you referenced on my boat for tbe charger and it works great. The reason I didn't use one on my RV is that it is only long enough for a single layer wall. The floor and walls on the RV are all insulated and therefore double wall. But if you find a place to mount it this is the perfect solution.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:43 PM   #12

To clarify my previous post, where I said "Sounds like a good way to do it..." I was referring to the post by Iwritecode, suggesting the Camco connector. This is a good, weathertight connector mounted on the side wall of the RV. Use a 1 7/8" hole saw to make the hole, but as I mentioned, be sure there is no other wiring already in the wall which would be damaged in cutting the hole. I would also use residential-style Romex or equivalent for wiring between the Camco connector and the inside receptacle.

Tags
camper, campground, mpg