Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-24-2018, 06:58 PM   #61

So today I installed a battery voltage monitor/12 socket/USB charging panel in my Rockwood 232ESP. I put it under the radio so I could easily check it when the tent was down. I made a new circuit straight to the battery with 12 guage wire. I needed a 12 volt socket so I can run my ARB Fridge while at the campsite.

I also found what I initially thought was a rat's nest but after reading this thread, I know it's just the norm. This mess is under my sink and stove. Looks like I have a future project on my hands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12 volt monitor.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	177123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring nightmare.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	177124  
Desertbenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:14 PM   #62

My 2018 forester wiring looks like a rats nest also. I also don't like the fact that there is no clear channels that wiring runs in, it looks like wiring is strung the shortest route. Does any one know how to get wiring diagrams and part catalog for Forest River products. I keep getting answers take it back to the dealer. I don't always wont to wait 3 weeks to get my problem looked at.
4 problems so far with my 3011.

1. fresh water tank over flows and I have not even filled it yet. Coming in on city water connection.
2. leak in air conditioner during hard rain.
3. black water tank not recording level.
4. door to main cabin - having problem closing.
Maverick101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:40 PM   #63
Commercial Member

I was able to get what FR called a wire diagram in 2011. As an Engineer I can tell you that the drwaings I received looked like they were drawn by a student's first effort and IMO the paper would have received an "F".
There was no color code or wire gauge information provided. There were wires on the drawing that did not exist. There were connections with wires in the coach that were not on the drwaing.

Any drawing from FR is no better than vague wish or hope and bears no relationship to reality.

I have heard representatives from RV industry use the excuse for poor quality and durability by saying an RV is a House you are hauling down the road at 50 mph. BUT I would challenge any RV to pass a standard house inspection for electric or plumbing.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 08:29 AM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanMike View Post
If the factory was to pay more attention to detail and pay the Dealers less for their PDI work (which is in many cases just pocketed, the cost to the consumer wouldn't be a lot more than what it is now.

More inspectors to sign off on wiring, plumbing, gas, etc before it's covered up would lead to less work to be done by dealers as the units are prepped for the customers.

If the factories produced a finished product the only thing the Dealer would have left to do is wash whatever dirt accumulated on the unit as it was transported and unbox any accessories that were shipped inside the unit.

What they are doing now is no different than what the car manufacturers were doing back in the late 70's and early 80's. Push the vehicles out the door and let the Dealer take care of any finish work. I bought a special order Turbo Mustang in 1980. The body was covered in factory mistakes from dents from the inside that just got painted over to doors that didn't fit the opening and you could see daylight from the inside. Care spent about a month getting "finished" by the dealer.

As for the Dealer failing to perform a full PDI and correct flaws, the only way to cure that is to remove their "franchise" but as we are all aware, another manufacturer would be more than happy to sign up the dealer after getting cancelled by another.

Nothing will change as long as people accept what the factories and dealers push on them.

I guess I'm pretty lucky as I haven't run across any blatant flaws in wiring or plumbing (just one kinked propane hose for the bbq). I've just been busy upgrading the 12V system to meet MY standards (more current capacity with lower voltage drop between batteries and load distribution panel/charger). On that note just how much more does it cost to put one or two sized larger wire between converter and battery along with a few more feet of "wire loom" where wires are exposed in the "A-Frame" area of the hitch/tongue.
I have a fiver my Coachmen, bought just after Forest River took them over. I had quite a few problems got that I got fixed fairly quick and then other things started happening like doors falling off the hinges. I called the factory and there come back was well it's a trailer and it vibrates what do you expect. I told him that if you had quality stuff it wouldn't happen all it would take is one drop of super glue on those push in inserts for the hinges and they will not come out. He said they weren't going to take the time to do that. So guess what I've done with Forest River and everybody should stop buying from them without attitude. I've had this unit for 4 years and still can't get much water out of the kitchen faucet thought maybe it was a Kinked hose, I can't find it so I called the faucet Factory and they sent me a new one we'll see what that does.
frankraney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:56 AM   #65
Commercial Member

One reason I do all my own repaireis that I have no interest in paying to "train" the workers at the dealership for them to learn the job of how to repair what they sell. An example would be my 12v socket near the TV. If FR had a reliabel wiring diagram a tech would be able to look at it and know in a couple of minutes where the probable location of the problem was and fix it in less than 1/2 hour and not charge me 2 to 3 hours to try and figure out the mess that FR places on the market.

So yes I will not go to an RV dealership that sells such junk.
.Write a blog on RV tire application RV Tire Safety. 48 years experience as tire design & forensic engineer. My RV Freelander 23QB on Chevy 4500 chassis. Giving seminars on RV Tire applications (not selling)@ FMCA Conventions. Mar 20-22 Tucson AZ
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
factory, wiring