Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-08-2016, 09:39 AM   #1

Fan in electrical panel running

The left turn signal light on the TT was not working. Sunday while working on it I must have bumped the shore power just enough to pull it out of the wall receptacle. Thursday when preparing the TT to camp I noticed that the refrigerator was not on and no lights worked on the camper. That is when I noticed the shore power was unplugged. We leave the refrigerator on when not in use, this is what ran down the battery. I plugged the shore power in Thursday evening and we left Friday afternoon to go camping. Ever since then the fan in the electric panel has been running, It is now 3 days. Surely the battery is charged ( I assume the fan is cooling the battery charger and/or the electrical converter. We have only run 2 lights that are on 12 volt and they are LED. The TT is a 2014 Salem 27RKSS. All electrical is working and I did unplug the shore power while cwmping thinking it might reset itself, it did not. Any ideas why the fan is still running? And suggestions way more than welcome.
Old 05-08-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Site Team

If you left things on and disconnected the shore power, you may have drained the battery to a state below which it will recover. The fan in the converter comes on when the converter is supplying a lot of current and gets warm. I suggest you remove the battery and take it to an auto parts store to have it load tested. You can charge a bad battery to read 12+ volts but once you add a load, it will drop significantly and not support a load. If battery is good, try charging it out of RV ( with auto charger) then return it. The other possibility is when you plugged back into shore power, the dead battery drew enough current to blow the protection fuses ( 30-40A) and the converter is supplying the entire load causing it to be warm.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Both 40 amp fuses are good, I will take battery to have tested when I get home tomorrow. Guess I will flip the breaker off to the converter until I need the lights tonight if that win not hurt anything.

Thank you for the help and your services to this country.
Old 05-08-2016, 11:53 AM   #4

I had an electrical device in my front storage area that had cooling fans controlled by thermocouples. Several times the fans would come on when the device wasn't even being used because the high temperature closed thermo couple switch that controlled the fans.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
I had an electrical device in my front storage area that had cooling fans controlled by thermocouples. Several times the fans would come on when the device wasn't even being used because the high temperature closed thermo couple switch that controlled the fans.

X2. Mine ran when it wanted to. Sometimes when it was real hot inside. If my memory doesn't fail me it also ran when the POC wifco converter went out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
born in Texas.... live in Arkansas
Iwannacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34 PM   #6

IMO, a hydrometer would tell you whether the battery is bad or good. It appears you have a bad battery thus the WFCO unable to charge it.
Old 05-09-2016, 10:56 PM   #7

If you disconnect the battery and the charger/converter fan stops running, then starts up again when you re-connect the battery, it's pointing towards a battery problem, as already mentioned.

Disclaimer: The actual value of my "Two Cents" of advice varies just like a bitcoin.
Bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:53 AM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archg38r View Post
The left turn signal light on the TT was not working. Sunday while working on it I must have bumped the shore power just enough to pull it out of the wall receptacle. Thursday when preparing the TT to camp I noticed that the refrigerator was not on and no lights worked on the camper. That is when I noticed the shore power was unplugged. We leave the refrigerator on when not in use, this is what ran down the battery. I plugged the shore power in Thursday evening and we left Friday afternoon to go camping. Ever since then the fan in the electric panel has been running, It is now 3 days. Surely the battery is charged ( I assume the fan is cooling the battery charger and/or the electrical converter. We have only run 2 lights that are on 12 volt and they are LED. The TT is a 2014 Salem 27RKSS. All electrical is working and I did unplug the shore power while cwmping thinking it might reset itself, it did not. Any ideas why the fan is still running? And suggestions way more than welcome.

Dometic doesn't recommend leaving the fridge run when not in use FYI.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:49 AM   #9

Yea, I wouldn't run the frig just to run it unless that's where you are hiding you 6 pack.

Tags
electric, electrical, fan