Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-09-2015, 12:10 AM   #1

Question Fan noise under fuse box?

Ok, this may be a silly question but my wife and I are first time RV owners. We are spending our first night out in our new trailer a 2015 Surveyor 226RBDS in our driveway of all places just to try it out. I plugged the trailer in and there is a fan like noise coming from under the fuse box. It's not loud but it will bug me when we lay down for the night. Any help with what this noise may be and how to stop it will be greatly appreciated.
dodgerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:54 AM   #2

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
It is most likely your Converter (converts the AC power from your house to 12v DC power to charge your battery and run your DC items while plugged in....lights, furnace, water pump, etc.).

Mine really bugs me too, but I am in the process of replacing it with a different system so I have been putting up with it. As long as the battery is fully charged, it only runs when there are multiple lights on...once you shut everything down for bed time, the fan should stop (as long as the battery is charged). If it doesn't stop, you may want to have it looked at.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 01:40 AM   #3

Those smart charger fans should be smaller and quieter than the old linear style. I wonder if insulation in the cabinet paneling, back side, surrounding the unit would help? Might be worth some experimenting...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:48 AM   #4
Site Team

your battery may be depleted from the parasitic power drains, if you didn't use a battery disconnect switch.
therefore, the converter is busy recharging it and when you turn a bunch of lights on, it has to work harder thereby kicking in the cooling fan.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:22 AM   #5
LA-Lower Alabama Resident

We are first timer's too and I noticed the same thing when we used ours for the first time this past weekend. I did notice that the sound increased/decreases when turning on/off the individual lights. The more lights that were on the louder the sound. The sound may not be a problem with all the lights off. I really didn't notice it at night but our bed is at the opposite end of the trailer.
mysticks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The cooling fans for the converter run according to load.
More load the faster they will run.
Light to no load fans should stay off or only run occasionally.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded, 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "2 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 11:49 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
For mine, the magic number seems to be 5 bulbs. With 4 (incandescent) bulbs on, no fan. With 6 bulbs (our "most used" light switches control 2 bulbs each) the fan kicks in.

I am in the process of installing a large Inverter/Charger in the front storage compartment so soon will no longer be annoyed by "the fan under the stairs" as it will be disconnected...yay! I had previously considered switching out to LED bulbs just to cut the fans run time down.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:12 PM   #8
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Inverter charger?

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-09-2015, 12:50 PM   #9

Thank you all for your very quick replies to my question. Wow, I'm so impressed with this forum. I can tell it will be of great help for us first time RVers,
I believe it was the converter as it did shut off in the night when everything was shut down. Thanks again for all of your assistance, it is greatly appreciated.
dodgerdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 12:56 PM   #10
Mod free 5er

Strongly suggest you switch all the 12v lights to led and it will probably never or rarely have to run. I switched our bulbs 2 years ago and haven't heard the fan kick on since.
Old 04-09-2015, 12:58 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Strongly suggest you switch all the 12v lights to led and it will probably never or rarely have to run. I switched our bulbs 2 years ago and haven't heard the fan kick on since.
Probably quit working...[emoji12]

TURBS
2015 camping "2 nights"
Old 04-09-2015, 01:01 PM   #12
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
Probably quit working...TURBS
Converter is still working anyway.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Is that something that you did yourself? I would like to have that done as well.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:33 PM   #14
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticks1 View Post
Is that something that you did yourself? I would like to have that done as well.
Yes, just a matter of switching bulbs.
Old 04-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Yes, just a matter of switching bulbs.
Thanks - I will look into doing that.

Tags
fan, fuse