Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #1

Few out lets do not work

So i have a heater in the trailer for winter and i have a wireless thermostat setup with it and i noticed was getting pretty cold in the trailer so i went to go turn the heater up a notch and noticed it want making any noise so i thought heater was bad, checked few other outlets and they were not working, but the TV outlet and microwave has power, forgot to check the bathroom outlet.. but anyway i have atleast 4 outlets that do not work i think the one by the sink was a GFCI but doesnt reset like a house one..

Checked the fuses and the breakers all looked good, so what do you guys think is wrong?

Thinking about it there may be a GFCI reset in the bathroom and of course i diddnt check there
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

My vote's for the bathroom one. In our TT the kitchen outlets are GFI'd off the bathroom one. Seems weird but I guess running the circuit all over is cheaper than a second GFI.
Old 02-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #3

.. but anyway i have atleast 4 outlets that do not work i think the one by the sink was a GFCI but doesnt reset like a house one..

?? I think they are like house ones. If it won't reset or trip (test button) then there is no power going to it. Have you checked the breaker panel. We kept blowing our 20 amp fuse when using our 1500 watt electric heater and would forget to turn it off before making coffee or using the microwave. Sounds like you might have 2 20 amp circuites. Check the breaker panel

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 10:35 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
My vote's for the bathroom one. In our TT the kitchen outlets are GFI'd off the bathroom one. Seems weird but I guess running the circuit all over is cheaper than a second GFI.
Kaadk, you never put more than one GFI on a circuit or they will might fight each other and continually trip when there is no ground fault. One GFI will protect all the circuits connected to it ( if it is installed correctly).

Old 02-05-2014, 10:37 PM   #5

My Fiver has two gfci's one is in the bathroom next to mirror and the other is under the cabinets in the kitchen area. one controls one side of trailer and the other one controls the rest. check yours it is possibly the same way....

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Kaadk, you never put more than one GFI on a circuit or they will might fight each other and continually trip when there is no ground fault. One GFI will protect all the circuits connected to it ( if it is installed correctly).

Yeah, I know. What I don't understand is why they put it all on one circuit to began with. I would have done at least two circuits, one for kitchen, one for bath. Or at least one for port and one for starboard.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:01 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Yeah, I know. What I don't understand is why they put it all on one circuit to began with. I would have done at least two circuits, one for kitchen, one for bath. Or at least one for port and one for starboard.
I just had the same problem, In my unit they have 2 15 amp breakers for all the outlets. On 1 that keeps tripping I found the Refer, TV, the outside outlet and 6 plain duplex outlets on the 15 amp circuit. The bath, bedroom and basement was on the second. Each has a GFI in each section. To make it even worst they doubled the 1st 15 amp and connected my converter to that breaker, that is against code to use two wires in 1 breaker. The thing that makes me mad is that I still had room for 2 more breakers in the panel. So I added a breaker for the converter to atleast separate that. If you have a volt meter check to see that you are getting 110v at the breaker first, then if you are check it at the GFI either at you kitchen area or in the bathroom. If your GFI will not reset it is bad. Hope it helps. Sometimes a breaker will look fine but it has tripped, so make sure you turn them off and back on again. You can look up a thread named 110 volt labels and see what I found and posted. When I called FR for a diagram, they said they do not have one it depends on who is on the production line that day doing the wiring.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #8

I had a GFI that wouldn't reset. Traced everything and found that a junction box under the slide had water in it. Cleared the water and all was well.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:45 PM   #9

You may have a loose connection in the fuse box that happen to me and when I pull out the breaker I found a loose wire.Which it wouldnt let me reset the gfi that in the bath until I tighten it. good luck
BillyBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM   #10

The snow stopped and i had time to check the trailer and the bathroom GFCI was tripped and i rest it and everything is working!

then i noticed the snow must of broke the bathroom vent cover, so now i need to find that part and replace it lol..

Anyway thanks guys!
Deeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 06:01 PM   #11
Professional Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
There's no reason you can't install more than one GFCI in a circuit. In fact, the installation instructions specifically address how to connect more than one in a series circuit.
wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
There's no reason you can't install more than one GFCI in a circuit. In fact, the installation instructions specifically address how to connect more than one in a series circuit.
You can add multiple duplex outlets to one GFCI outlet. I think if you check the installation instructions it shows you the terminals to add the down line duplex outlets ( non GFCI, standard ac outlet). The GFCI needs to be the first outlet ( connected to breaker) in the series chain as it is the outlet that has the circuit that senses all the current being fed to all the loads (multiple ac outlets). If the same amount of current going to all the loads is not sensed coming back from all the loads then the GFFI trips. This is a very small amount of current, as low as a few milliamperes. So, if you should conduct electricity through your body to ground the GFCI will sense it

There is no reason to have more than one GFCI outlet on a series of ac outlets and it must always be the first outlet from the breaker power.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:32 PM   #13

Not sure if there would be a need to have GFCI feeding another GFCI in a trailer, but I do have that setup in our yard.

I have the GFCI outlet in our garage feeding another GFCI outlet in the garden that a fountain is plugged into. The one in the garden will trip if it senses an irregularity at the fountain, but the one at the garage will continue to work. The fountain will shutdown, but the lights plugged in at the garage GFCI outlet will still work. However I have had both trip at the same time on occasion.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:17 PM   #14

On a very recent trip to So Arizona we had a recurring and annoying problem with the 15 Amp CB feeding the electrical outlets in our 2014 FR 26. Regardless of which of the 6 outlets in the trailer we used, we were unable to use more than 2000W at a time without tripping the breaker. I determined that all the outlets are wired to one 15 Amp breaker! (Probably the outdoor outlets too.) My task now is to connect half of the outlets to a new 15 Amp breaker. Why a company that has been making RV's forever wire a system like this.
Ccortes03 is offline   Reply With Quote